Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model Series String Lock Woes

Hello all!

Kahler string lock is starting to annoy as there are no 'guides' to help with the angle of the headstock. This causes my B string to touch the bolt and the E string to get caught up on the edge of the string lock itself.

I have read up quite a bit on ways to combat this but the issues seem to be more geared toward not being able to lock properly (usually due to worn plates etc.) I am more concerned about the angle coming off of it and where it's getting caught up on the nut. Any advice would be appreciated! Yes, I would love to put a floyd nut on there, but just don't have the cash right now to bring both to a tech.

Forgot to take pictures last night so will try later on, but I think most of you know what I'm talking about.

It's one of the drawbacks to having an angled headstock. The strings come off at an angle.
    I have reverse headstocks where the low e will pull off of the nut (before locked) because the angle is so sharp.

Sorry, can't help ya.

Comment

This has never ben much of a problem for me with the kahler string locks behind the nut but the locks that came with the JT-6 bridged guitars can be a real pain. The kahlers are a little better in the fit and finish depot. if you have no luck with holding the strings in place while locking the locks, maybe put some string trees on it.

Comment

Yeah, the JT6 string locks are a deal breaker for me... they suck horribly. The Kahler nuts are a lot better.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

It's not too hard to convert to a regular Floyd Rose locking nut.

Comment

If you just file or round the edges of the locking pads that will help.Some people put the pads in upside down not knowing the is a right side and wrong side.
            If there are grooves in the pads remove the grooves with a file.
            Model series neck truss rods sit rather high in the neck so a floyd nut conversion will take a wedge of wood to create a nut shelf to mount the nut on.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks all!

It's not the pad's thats the problem, it is purely the angle of the string causing my issue. Hell, my B string love's to get into the thread of the bolt! I do have a Kahler one I am going to throw on for now, and string trees / retainer would certainly help but I think eventually I will just save up some cash and have a floyd nut put on and be done with it, rather than drill even more holes into the headstock.

Comment

Working...
              X