Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CL charvel

I'm not too up on Charvels, so I'm wondering what you
    guys think of this one. Legit, worth the $, etc?

Looks like a nice Model 3 from the 1987-88 bunch, which were characterized by the Jackson JT6 tremolo and no pickguard. http://www.charvelusa.com/japanese_charvel_1987.html

The 1986 bunch had pickguards and Kahler fulcrum tremolos. http://www.charvelusa.com/charvel_model_series.html

Clean it up and you'll have a killer player.

If you wish, an Original Floyd Rose is a direct replacement, but you need to keep the JT6 trem posts anchored in the guitar. Otherwise, if you want to use the OFR studs, which are narrower in diameter than the JT6 studs, you will need to dowel and re-drill holes for the OFR studs. http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...roject.htm#jt6

The bridge pickup is obviously not original. It could be any of Duncan's slugs-and-screws pickups like the JB, Distortion, Custom, etc. so you'd need to dismount the pickup and check for any identification labels underneath. Original bridge pickup would have been a Jackson J90C, which was a great pickup too... it was very much like a Duncan JB with a ceramic magnet, but not the large ceramic magnet in the Duncan Distortion... so it has a character somewhere in between the JB and the Distortion.

The neck pickup is obviously not original either. Because of the two rows of screw polepieces, it's either the Duncan Little '59 or JB Jr. Likely the Little '59 since that is a sensible choice as a neck pickup. To confirm, need to lift it up to see any identification labels underneath.

In my opinion, USD$375 is excessive, especially with no case of any kind mentioned/included, unless you REALLY want this guitar. A better deal would be USD$300. Anything under USD$300 would be ideal. In Canada, bolt-on Charvel Model Series (Model 1 thru 4) can be commonly found for $300 in CANADIAN dollars (~USD$225) which makes them smoking hot deals. Prepare to negotiate and walk away if you're not happy. Fight over everything including the missing switch tip () and any dings/dust you find, and the corrosion/wear on the JT6 bridge which is highly evident in the photos.
    Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 03-22-2017, 10:13 AM.

Comment

^^ Yup.

$375 isn't crazy high considering the two duncans in there. But I do agree $300 is more like it, I'd probably even go a bit higher if I was really Gas'n

Comment

Nice find, I like the vintage white! I would also ask about the common clear coat cracking around the neck joint. I'm in the market for one of these too. Searching for the correct color/condition/deal. An OFR replacement is a nice idea, I have to do the measurements to see if the German Made Schaller is a direct swap too, pretty sure it should be.

Comment

OFR, Schaller or Gotoh all drop right in.

Comment

Working...
          X