Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting back into a Charvel, Floyd question

Hey Guys,
    I've been a Les Paul guy for the last 25 years or so. Picking up a MIJ San Dimas soon, so my question is who makes the Floyd Rose on the 2011 MIJ version? It has an added EVH D-Tuna and a Floyd Rose brass big block added already.
    Thanks for the help.

I also have a Japanese Pro-Mod, not a San Dimas but a So-Cal, and it also has a big brass block, Tremolo Stopper, and EVH D-Tuna.

In stock form they were the 1000-Series Original Floyd Roses made in Korea. I've never been able to pinpoint who the actual manufacturer in Korea is, but I've always guessed it was Ping and I've seen other search results also guess Ping.

Comment

Ok, so are those as good as the old German made Schallers I remember? Or close to it?

Comment

My two Korean 1000-Series OFRs are indistinguishable in feel and handling to the Original Floyd Rose (made by Schaller) on the one guitar equipped with it. (The visual difference is that the OFR will actually say "Made in Germany" or something to this effect on the underside of the baseplate.) According to the Floyd Rose website, the 1000-Series products are supposed to be identical in every way to the ones made by Schaller, except simply made in Korea (by Ping?), right down to the same metals and dimensions.

Oddly enough the Floyd Rose website scrubbed their webpages where they describe their 1000-Series products. Maybe they currently no longer offer them. That might explain why some JCFers in another thread have noticed the Charvel Pro-Mods coming equipped with Floyd Rose Specials instead of 1000-Series OFRs.

Comment

the Floyd itself on the promods is fine but the fit of the bar in the socket sucks IMHO.

Comment

The fine tuners are not as smooth as the Original Germany floyds.

Comment

OK, thanks for the replies, so I can assume it'll be a decent unit and won't need to upgrade to an old German-made OFR. Hopefully it'll be here by the weekend.

Comment

Working...
              X