Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photoshoot day: 2011 Charvel Japan Pro-Mod So-Cal (Candy Red)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photoshoot day: 2011 Charvel Japan Pro-Mod So-Cal (Candy Red)

I previously unveiled this guitar last year with mediocre photos taken with my point-and-shoot camera. I finally got around to shooting DSLR photos on an overcast day.

A previous owner modded this guitar with a big brass block from FU-Tone, a tremolo stopper, and an EVH D-Tuna. He also sanded the back of the neck and it feels so good that I can't bring myself to oil it with gunstock oil as per the original-specified finish.

This guitar plays and sounds awesome, and is in all respects equal to my USA So-Cal (https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...te)?p=1665864), and perhaps better due to its condition and the modifications. However, I haven't quite bonded with it. It only gets a fraction of playing time and I can't understand why, even after over a year of ownership. I even had it listed for sale recently but then retracted the listing. Lately, Canada is seeing many Japanese Pro-Mods listed for prices higher than my asking price, so I decided I should hold on to it and try to give it a chance to become a regular part of my rotation.

Full sized images on my Imgur account: http://notp1.imgur.com/

Love it. Still GASing for a MIJ San Dimas/ SoCal

Comment

There was a Japanese San Dimas listed on our local Kijiji in July. The seller was willing to accept CAD$515. If I had known you were interested, I would have passed it along to you.

I'm almost certain it included the SKB OHSC too, since by default these Japanese Pro-Mods came with SKB cases. (Funny how the American Pro-Mods were sold with gigbags.)

Comment

Great guitar! I'm curious why you didn't want to treat the neck with gunstock oil?
        I've got that on an EBMM and it's my favorite neck...

Comment

It feels very smooth with zero finish on the neck, and the neck is quartersawn (ie - high strength and stability) so I've left it alone.

I now have guitars with a multitude of neck finishes, in increasing order of labor/time.

1) Full gloss clearcoat. I leave these alone on my neckthru and setneck guitars.

2) Deglossed clearcoat. I use 0000 steel wool on bolt-neck guitars to remove as much clearcoat as it will allow. This has the most impact on reducing the sticky feeling on the backs of necks with a small investment of time.

3) Removed clearcoat (bare wood). This is what the previous owner of this So-Cal did to this neck. A bit more labor-intensive if I wanted to do this myself on another guitar.

4) Removed clearcoat and refinished with gunstock oil and wax (like EBMM guitars). I recently learned the procedure and performed it on the neck of my 2000 Ibanez RG570: https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...70-Gray-Nickel. Charvel's specification sheet for the American Pro-Mods (and, by extension, the Japanese Pro-Mods since they had identical specs) states that these guitars had gunstock oil finishes, with no mention of wax, though I could do one or both to this So-Cal if I wanted to "refinish" it back to "stock" configuration.

Comment

Nice looking guitar

Curious why you put a Trem Stopper if the FR is already Top Mounted.

Comment

I didn't install the upgrades. But, to me, "top mounted" doesn't necessarily mean "dive only". The Floyds on these Pro-Mods is not mounted flat to the body. It hovers a little bit above, allowing pull-ups and divebombs. Thus the need for the tremolo stopper to restrict the tremolo to "dive only" and to allow the EVH D-Tuna to work properly.

Comment

Working...
              X