X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality of the MIM Charvels?

Hey everyone,

so I'm new here. Played a Made in Mexiko Charvel yesterday, this one:

I felt comfortable on it, the sounds where diverse and cool and the neck was a bit thicker (which suits my hands) but still fast. Only thing that felt a bit awkward was the unfinished maple under my hands, but I had a Jackson DK2M that was the same and got along with it.

Now the one I played yesterday was a good instrument, but I want a Floyd and the red quilted maple finish with the black edges has got my eye:

Now my question is: how consistent are they quality wise? I'll be ordering online from Thomann and don't wanna risk to get a dud, unfortunately my local music store doesn't have any of the floyd equipped Style 2s in stock...

Thanks and cheers!

Any guitar company can have a dud. Alot can happen during shipping to. When buying on line you should assume it will need a set up when it arrives. If you have a good relationship with a music store, order through them. If it is a dud the store will eat the shipping etc on returns and will most likely set it up for you. I feel this is worth paying a little more so they can make a living to.

Comment

I bought a Style 1 online a few months ago and it was perfect when it arrived. I bought it from Sweetwater in the States and they do a check before it goes out. I had to tune it just a bit and that's it. AMAZING guitar.

Comment

Paranoid: Setups are no problem, I do all of my guitars myself. Would need some adjusting anyway as I usually play 10-52s and the guitar comes equipped with 9-42s - the strings were flopping about as I was playing...
        And yeah you're right, it's tempting to order from Thomann because of the 30 days return and 3 years warranty policies, but then again I don't my local music store to die

Release: good to know. As said the one I played was a really solid instrument. Costs less than a Gibson and is better build. Made in Mexiko. Go figure...

Comment

It is sad that in the present there is not any pride in American work ethics, but prices are high. In other countries they make less but are happy to have work, and do a good job (for the most part) I have several made in USA Charvels, and Sadly I prefer the made in Japan models.

Comment

Unfortunately... Gibson probably being the most prominent example. My made in Japan Elite Jackson Rhoads smokes my Gibbo LP Studio...

Comment

Played a MIM Style 1 as well... awesome guitars. I will get one for sure. A soon as I recover from blowing dough on a 1982 2203

Comment

I was actually at Sweetwater a few months ago and checked out several, I will say tha shape of the necks were consistant, but the feel of them varied, some were super smooth some actually felt pretty rough or pourus, like they missed the last sanding stage or 2....
                A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

Comment

Working...
                X