650XL beats the 1990 SL Pro :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 650XL beats the 1990 SL Pro :D

Yup, you read it right. Say what you want about an ebony board being better (mysteriously) than rosewood, but I think I've found my new favorite "Soloist" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    The neck on my '90 SL Pro was shaved down and oiled, but it's still not as thin and comfy as the neck on the 650XL I just got from Illumina (neck is still stock - no mods).

Dark Metallic Blue/Green with matching headstock, Schaller trem, blah blah - 1989 I'd say from the serial (C9xxxxx)

Anybody got a white one they wanna get rid of?

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: 650XL beats the 1990 SL Pro

Nice!

Is the ebony and the neck the only difference between this axe and your soloist pro?

Congrats again!

Comment

Very nice bro! Congrats!!
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Nice!

Is the ebony and the neck the only difference between this axe and your soloist pro?

Congrats again!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I was kinda expecting the neck to be a bit more Stratty (thick) but it's almost like a KV [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

<font color="yellow"> </font> 650 XL kicks major ass! I don't know if it beats a Soloist or not, but i don't care anyway. Mine is an incredible guitar and I'm keeping it unless something really terrible makes me sell it. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
          Facebook - Youtube

Comment

I agree , the late 80s early 90s imports are hard to beat.My 750s keeps my SL1 in the case.Hell I sold a SL2H to fund the purchase of my two 750s.
            Mike
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Excellent guitars no doubt.
              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I haven't played a 650xl but my 1990 Soloist Pro has a much thinner neck than my Model 6.... My Soloist kicks ass! But now that I've been playin my Shannon, I's say it's my favorite overall.

Comment

I've never played a Soloist Pro,but I can relate to the 650XL as I have got 2 of them.Awesome guitars and for the money they just can't be beat.I just recently bought a MINT '87 black model 6,and that thing plays like butter.It has a wee bit thinner neck than both of my 650XL's.BTW one of my 650XL's is identical to the one pictured.
                  Gear
                  '88 Charvel Model 6
                  '90 Charvel 650 Custom
                  '92 Jackson Dinky Reverse Professional
                  '93 Jackson USA Randy Rhoads PCS #23
                  '07 Jackson DKMG Mutt

Comment

My old 650xl did not have a particarly thin neck--very much a medium c-profile like the 70s Les Paul Customs I've owned in the past. I prefer the neck on my '93 USA Soloist to that 650, or any of the other Model guitars I've owned, but not by too much--the Model necks are very nice. However, the Charvel neckthru necks seem to have a lot of variety--and not based on the year they were made. I've played ones that were like clubs, and I played a Model 6 that had as thin a neck as any guitar I've ever played.

Newc, how does the sound compare on the two guitars, even taking into consideration the different pickups in them? My 650 didn't seem very resonant, which is the only reason I got rid of it--it had silly low action and stayed in tune perfectly.

Comment

Very nice! I have a dark blue Model 6 that I love, and it scratches my "Soloist" itch quite nicely! As for rosewood vs. ebony, my '77 Les Paul Standard's fretboard is still in great shape! Ebony's harder, but more brittle, and I like both and don't really prefer one over the other.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

PF - The 650 with the Gain Boost sounds just as good as the EMGs in the SL Pro, just different.

Newc

Comment

are those PUs the same as in the model 6? if so I must have had some really early monday stuff, because the PU's in my 6 my (PU'sespecially the singles) and midbooser sucked donkeyballs... swapped as soon as I discovered that

Harrald

Comment

Same J50 and J200s as in most others of the time. I guess it really depends on what tones you're going for and are used to getting. Some people want the exact same tone out of 13 different guitars. I want 13 different tones out of 13 different guitars [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

I have no problems with 13 guitars, 13 different tones, that's what makes it cool. there is not one single tone I am after, but the tone the 6 produced was definately not one of the ones I was and am after [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

Harrald

Comment

Working...
                              X