650XL beats the 1990 SL Pro :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 650XL beats the 1990 SL Pro

I need to replace my pups in my model 6. They are just used up I guess. They sound like sh!t!! I'll probably go with SA/SA/85 emg's.

Comment

I never cared for the J50 bridge p/u in the Model guitars, either. The tone seems to be somewhat muddy and lacking in personality. Consider putting a Duncan Distortion in there if you want a hot pickup with some good tone. EMGs are nice, but you have to replace all of the electronics, and I personally like both the J200 mid/neck pickups, as well as the JE1200 boost circuit.

Comment

I don't have a mid-boost circuit in the guitar. I bought a used one and it didn't work so I got another but haven't put it in, and now I think I wanna go EMG. The only pick up that sounds ok in it is the neck pup...

Comment

because of the short lead on a pickup that I bought for the middleposition, I destroyed it (a lil 59, quite a shame) and it was sitting there defect. I took it out and put in the old j200 and MAN....

it still sounds like sh!t [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], but combined with the lil' screamin demon and also together with the steve's special (bridge) I get some funky, snappy cleans... so it will sit there for some time I guess. the middle PU is simply one I will never use alone.

Harrald

Comment

Very nice. I noticed that the body routing for the single coils parallels the bottom of each pick-up very closely compared to the routes I typically see on say an SL1.

Comment

Yeah that type of single coil routing really limits your replacement options - either old 80's Jackson pickups, EMG SAs, or Duncan minibuckers like the JBJr. If you want to put genune Fender singles in it, you gotta have the notch cut or mod the pickup.

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Can you help me here guys.
                Just bought what I think is a 650.
                24 fret thru neck, sharkfins.
                Jackson 'made by schaller' trem
                H/S/S EMGs with switch on tone knob.
                C9 serial number.
                Is it a 650xl or custom or isn't there any difference.
                Are the EMGs standard?

Comment

That is indeed a 650xl--but it has been modified to include the EMGs and extra switch. Originally, it would have had Jackson pickups and volume/tone/active boost knobs. What does the switch do? Maybe it has an EMG circuit of some kind inside, like the PA2.

Comment

Ahh the 650XL, I have always wanted to play one. I was looking for one when I lucked out on a good deal for my 475 Deluxe and had to go for it. It has the J50BC/J120/J120 and J1200 mid-boost, which is very cool. You have to use to mid boost sparingly to avoid getting a muddy sound, but I love the stock pups and the amazing neck/frets of the 475 and up early '90s Charvels. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, my 650xl is definitely my favorite. I've had it since 92 and I won't ever get rid of it. Got a Distortion/Cool Rails/Hot Rails combo in it and it rips. As far as the route, Duncan will make any of their single coil pickups without the lip at no extra charge. But there is a 6 week wait for that. I had mine routed for the Hot Rails, however. It was pretty subtle and the tone improvement was by far worth it.

Comment

Working...
                      X