question about necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about necks

I found a white charvel avenger for $200 that I am thinking about buying. I just have one problem with it though, it's only a 22 fretter and alot of my band's songs require that i have 24 frets (for harmonies). I just want to know if I am able to replace the neck with that of any other j/c guitar. And if not, what are some that will fit the neck pocket?

p.s. sorry, no pics available

Re: question about necks

You cannot put a 24 fret neck on a 22 fret body. The best you could do is get one of the Warmoth necks with the fretboard extension, but they look silly to me.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      You cannot put a 24 fret neck on a 22 fret body.

[/ QUOTE ]

This can be done, but it takes some woodwork to make it intonate properly. I believe Budman did this modification to a Rhoads...it may have even been an Avenger like you're looking at. The heel of a 24 fret neck is in the wrong place for a 22-fret body, so you need to "chip away" at the heel so the neck will bolt to the body closer to the headstock. And as mentioned, the fretboard will cover up most of the neck pickup if there is one.
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Thanks for the help dudes. I'll probably just pm budman for more info but once again, thanks.

Comment

Did Budman post a thread about this mod here on JCF? If so, please hand over the link [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Did Budman post a thread about this mod here on JCF? If so, please hand over the link [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">It wasn't really "too" involved of a project. It was one of those "fun" ones if ya know what I mean [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Here's the old thread:

My finished "Quickie" Rhoads from yours truly....

And here are the pics:

</font>
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Superb job! I remember seeing those pictures way back, now. What i really wanted to see was the work in progress pictures. The messy ones!
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Superb job! I remember seeing those pictures way back, now. What i really wanted to see was the work in progress pictures. The messy ones!

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Sorry bro, I didn't take any.... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] </font>
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Working...
                X