A long and strange question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A long and strange question...

Ok I've been working on my 450 I recently bought. I've replaced the fine tuning wheels on the Schaller and the intonation screws and the shanks. Now what the question is, have any of you had problems with strings popping out of the saddles?

I have an OFR and have NEVER had this problem, I love the Schaller as a matter of fact I think it holds tune a bit better than the Floyd. It had this problem before the replacement parts, so I don't think replacing the parts had an effect. Once I get the strings in they are ok, but it seems that the blocks in the saddles are really hard to move back to get the strings in and I have to stab the heck out of the sting to get it in there.

Is it the strings I use? I use GHS and again I have NEVER had this problem before. I'm probably insane, but just thought I'd put this out there just to see if there were any helpful hints.

Re: A long and strange question...

try replacing the string retainer blocks. they can get grooved from clamping strings in place and will likely not hold the string if a big enough groove has been worn into them. my brother had this problem when he switched to a lighter gauge string. the grooves warn into them were from a bigger string and would not hold the smaller string at all. so we turned the block around and used an unwarn side against the string till he can get a replacement.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I actually had this problem with my 375 that I had many years ago. I replaced the high E clamp block, and it went away. Some trems seem to be touchier than others at string positioning for clamping, too.

Mike
      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Along with the other good info posted above, another problem is that sometimes the blocks themselves get deformed, particularly from overtightening. When that happens, the blocks get somewhat jammed and won't move much. So when you go to lock down the string retaining bolt, you'll think the string is locked in but it's not and when you go to tune up the string, it pops out.

So definitely look into replacing the little string lock blocks. They're cheap enough that you won't go broke.
        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

It may also be possible to rotate the blocks 1/4 turn so the groove runs perpendicular to the string. This will only work if the blocks are square in that dimension (not rectangular), & I'm not sure if that's the case. Worth a shot, maybe.

Comment

Sorry, I missed where D_R made a similar suggestion above.

Comment

You need to replace the little blocks themselves, you'll probably find they're cracked. I had this happen on my spectrum and hamer. Simple fix just pop them out and match the replacements to those and your done.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Simple fix just pop them out and match the replacements to those and your done.

[/ QUOTE ]

On at least 2 trems on guitars I picked up used, the blocks were really jammed inside the saddle and would barely move left to right. To get them out I had to use a punch and pound them out from the bottom. The trem worked fine after I replaced the blocks.
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                X