Model 6 Mods: Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 Mods: Part 2

OK folks, got another Model and I am thinking of modding this one. I have already removed the string lock at the nut and rewired it. 2 things that always bother me about the Model 6's that I am thinking of ways to address:
    1) These pickup routs in the Soloist style guitars SUCK!!! Thinking of opening up the rout for use with standard single coil pickups.

2) 3 toggles vs 5-way. I am a 5-way switch kind of guy myself. Thinking of cutting a slot and installing a 5-way although this is one that I think will look "hacked" no matter how well it is done.

If anybody has done these mods could you please post some pics?

I would also like to hear about any other Model 6 mods you have done.

P.S. Does anybody else think these behind the nut string locks suck or is it just me? Sperzels anyone??

Peace -Frank

Re: Model 6 Mods: Part 2

Cut for a Floyd nut [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I never understood why even after the Floyd nut was readily available they kept doing the Kahler-style mount [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

And yeah those non-tabbed slots really limit your pickup choices. I think Joe once mentioined that you can cut out for the tabs UNDER the top of the guitar, so it looks flat on top but allows you to use tabbed singles. Never tried it myself, though.

As for the 5-way vs 3 minis, I agree - I'd rather have the 5-way, but it's gonna look hacked if you're not a surgeon. Are the minis close enough that one would act as the mounting screw hole for the 5-way (or both outside holes)?

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You know, some of the things that bother you about the model 6 are done the right way on the charvel 650xl. It has a 5 position toggle, and the locking nut IS the only nut on the neck. You might want to trade your guitar for a 650xl.

Chuck
      "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

I did the mods, that is get rid of 2 of the 3 toggles, kept one for spitting purposes, and replaced the stringlock with a schaller toplock. the toplock was smaller than it should be, but actually that was a "pretty cool mistake" because I never have problems with pulling strings of the board, which I tend to have with other guitars... I'd say go for the mods

harrald

Comment

I think the "behind the nut" type string locks (Kahler style) work every bit as good as a Floyd nut. Floyd nuts do not sound any better nor do they stay in tune any better. As far as the switch situation, stay with the three minis unless you want to ruin that poor 'ol axe. I'm with Chasbo on that one....buy a 650 and sell me the model 6! (cheap of course)
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

update with pic, I think it does not look THAT bad actually, just have to replace the switch with a better looking one, am to lazy to pull that trick right now.

Harrald

Comment

Nah, doesn't look bad at all. In fact, I think that when you look at the whole guitar, the Matrix graphic gets all of the attention. An untrained eye might not even notive the mod.

Comment

Harrald, can you zoom out a little on that pic so we can get the full effect? Thanks.

Comment

+1 for the zoomout on the Matrix graphic

Comment

I can post a pic, but because the guitar is black you will have difficulties seeing it, so I give you a link to where a big pic is hosted (660k, so dial in connections, beware)
                    link

pic is not as sharp as I want it to be, camera is not good on short ranges plus the batteries are almost dead

Harrald

Comment

Woah.

Keith
                      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

vote #2 here for not modding the model 6. i have a model 6 and a 475dlx and i personally like the mini's better. then again if you are goin to change the electronics i want the active set up that comes factory

Comment

Hey man, I have an extra set (pickups and preamp) from another Model 6 I may sell. Ask me in about a week. Peace [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't know what sort of pickups you are looking at installing, but you might be able to get them made without that triangular base flange. I had some DiMarzios put in my USA Dinky and DiMarzio made the neck single coil without the flange and at no additional charge.

Might be something to look into, as it would save you cutting up your Model 6.
                            Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Yep, SD said they would make whatever I wanted without the tab/flange for no additional charge. Cool!

Comment

Working...
                              X