Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing JT-6 locking nut to Schaller type nut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing JT-6 locking nut to Schaller type nut?

Has anyong done this? The locking plates on my model 4 aren't locking in the strings any more and i have a Schaller type locking nut i'd love to put it, thought i'd ask before i start trying things.

Re: Changing JT-6 locking nut to Schaller type nut?

First, try flipping the locking plates upside down. If they're grooved this will give you a new flat surface for the strings to lock in. To replace it with a Floyd type nut is a pretty tedious job. You have to remove the lock nut and the phenolic nut, make a platform for the Floyd nut to sit on (make a small wood "wedge"), re-drill the mounting holes, shim it to adjust string height, and then try to make it all look good (probably the hardest part!). I've done it a few times and I just recently did one on a 3DR project I posted here. The only reason I did it was that I changed from black to gold hardware and it's next to impossible to find a gold JT6 nut (actually a Kahler design). My suggestion is to fix what you have.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

A quick fix may be to just flip the offending plates or rotate them 1/4 turn. If I ever decide it's time to put a Floyd nut in my Model 6, it'll be worth it to me to take it to a pro. I like to tinker with stuff, but with guitars I only do things than can be easily undone if I screw up.

*edit* oops, Mark beat me to it. That'll teach me to go grab a beer mid-post. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll look at what i can do.

Comment

Working...
        X