Thinking of dropping a P-90 in Neck position of my San Dimas hardtail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of dropping a P-90 in Neck position of my San Dimas hardtail

Been a long time since I have been here!

Anyway, I have a 2016 MIM San Dimas hardtail that is no question, one of the best built Charvels I've ever had. Way better guitar overall than my previous USA Charvels. I guess I got lucky.

Stock JB/59.

But with this "Six Pack of Tone" thing, I'm a little stumped on how to wire in a single conductor P90 due to these having the 3-way super-switch.

I am not a fan of the "inner coil/outer coils" middle switch position.

Have any of you guys done this?

I would think I could use the existing switch, or better yet replace with a normal 3 way blade and wire it in series, so that first position is the JB, middle both JB and P-90 in series, and third position is the P90 alone.

Any thoughts?

I am never selling this guitar so I don't mind routing the 'bucker slot to fit.

Thanks so much!

Edited: Sorry if I dropped this post in the wrong section, probably should have put it in the Tech section. Mod's feel free to move it.
    Last edited by Tex; 02-10-2022, 08:52 PM.

Fist off I'm zero help tech wise but honestly if I were wanting something with a P-90 in it I'd just bite the bullet and find myself something with a set of P-90's in it rather than trying to make a guitar you say you love different. Just my two cents...

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
      Been a long time since I have been here!

Anyway, I have a 2016 MIM San Dimas hardtail that is no question, one of the best built Charvels I've ever had. Way better guitar overall than my previous USA Charvels. I guess I got lucky.

Stock JB/59.

But with this "Six Pack of Tone" thing, I'm a little stumped on how to wire in a single conductor P90 due to these having the 3-way super-switch.

I am not a fan of the "inner coil/outer coils" middle switch position.

Have any of you guys done this?

I would think I could use the existing switch, or better yet replace with a normal 3 way blade and wire it in series, so that first position is the JB, middle both JB and P-90 in series, and third position is the P90 alone.

Any thoughts?

I am never selling this guitar so I don't mind routing the 'bucker slot to fit.

Thanks so much!

Edited: Sorry if I dropped this post in the wrong section, probably should have put it in the Tech section. Mod's feel free to move it.

blade three way switch like this

Solder the two forward ones together ( bridge) the two middles together (out put to volume) two closest to rear of guitar (neck) middle will give you both. I'm in the middle of putting my Blackouts back in

20220211_092834_HDR[1].jpg
      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Thank you Razor and john.w.lawson
        I did run across a diagram finally. I'm just going to gut it essentially, and wire it up in series like a Les Paul.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X