No announcement yet.

1986 Charvel Model 3C... Waht is this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think an interesting thing about this guitar is that it is a TM logo. That coupled with the serial indicates it is among the first batch of the model series Charvels. Clearly the bridge PU is not stock. Anyways maybe they were trying out new ways of marking the guitars? That would explain the 3c marking. Just a thought not saying I have definitive info here...
    Last edited by sonikk71; 02-24-2022, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Hi Sonikk,

I found a data base that was compiled and it looks like it was in the early production. This data base doesnt have any 3C in it. Only 3's and 3A Found 2 bodies on Reverb that had the same 3C marking. The bridge pickup is a covered J90C. Previously it must have had one without cover since 2 corners of the cutout have been squared. Also at some point a second tone pot was added. I confirmed it was installed afterwards by measuring the holes. I would be more then surprise that it would have been done at the factory for some even more strange reasons.

A guy name Budmann in a old post in this forum has or had one with the 3C marking and some with only 3. See link below

https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...out-a-model-3c

Comment

pretty sure all 86' model series guitars had the tm on the head stock water slide

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
          pretty sure all 86' model series guitars had the tm on the head stock water slide
          Yes the import and USA one's Charvel and Jackson from 86 and before 86 have the TM
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by BobClou View Post
            Hi Sonikk,

I found a data base that was compiled and it looks like it was in the early production. This data base doesnt have any 3C in it. Only 3's and 3A Found 2 bodies on Reverb that had the same 3C marking. The bridge pickup is a covered J90C. Previously it must have had one without cover since 2 corners of the cutout have been squared. Also at some point a second tone pot was added. I confirmed it was installed afterwards by measuring the holes. I would be more then surprise that it would have been done at the factory for some even more strange reasons.

A guy name Budmann in a old post in this forum has or had one with the 3C marking and some with only 3. See link below

https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...out-a-model-3c
            Models 2 & 3's had j90's in them stock
            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Miss Scuderia is coming togheter nicely. Body is in incredible shape. Nothing a lite polish isn't gonna take care of. Pups are all within spec. Need to repair some wires that have cracked.

Comment

Miss Scuderia is coming togheter nicely. Body is in incredible shape. Nothing a lite polish isn't gonna take care of. Pups are all within spec. Need to repair some wires that have cracked.
                Never had one with a pickguard, but had this one. I've had many model series in red( excuse the sheet, got rid of the sheet and wife that liked it)

image_288.jpg

A model 4

Model 4.jpg

A model 5

model 5.jpg

Now I hate red or am just ugh I've had too many that color

Comment

Yea love the pink silk sheet...

In my case my wall was in need of color....

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhHhIKduuIZCqgv9...VoKtR?e=1hZ9IR

BTW how to insert pics ?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
                      Not saying I know for sure but I have heard it was only the first batch not all 86s. It would be interesting to see. I do know for a fact that my 86 Model 2 has a TM and it was among the first batch of the Model series as I ordered it and had to wait for it to get into the country. Still have it. I also own a Model 8 and an 87 Model 3 among others. Love them all!

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

Models 2 & 3's had j90's in them stock
                        You are correct. Let me clarify my statement, I mean the fact that it was covered. From my understanding on the 86s none of the 90Cs were covered at least they arent in the catalog.

Comment

Post some pics when you are done! I love to see Model Series cleaned up.

Comment

I have polished the body with light compound and reinstalled pickups and controls this afternoon.

until i find a decent original pickguard i have installed a ring that hides the screw holes that where present and placed the J90C without its cover.

here are some pics

Image FABBD383 DD77 418F 9B35 FB73B09F739F hosted in Freeimage.host

Image B49ACB93 F9EE 4B74 B867 04711C2599A5 hosted in Freeimage.host

Image A1242A60 DC37 475E 9053 F29730EE1B18 hosted in Freeimage.host

Image A7D66BAD B3DC 4DAB 864F 0CE1DCBF0A4E hosted in Freeimage.host
                            Last edited by BobClou; 02-26-2022, 10:34 AM.

Comment

They didn't become registered product until 87 before that they were a trade marked product R TM

86 USA Strat

86 strat headstock.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by sonikk71 View Post

Not saying I know for sure but I have heard it was only the first batch not all 86s. It would be interesting to see. I do know for a fact that my 86 Model 2 has a TM and it was among the first batch of the Model series as I ordered it and had to wait for it to get into the country. Still have it. I also own a Model 8 and an 87 Model 3 among others. Love them all!
                                I know ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Working...
                                X