Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Charvel Model 3C... Waht is this

Hi,

Newbie here and just got my hand on a stunning Ferrari Red Charvel Model 3 with some oddities. Maybe someone can help me here.

Serial: 228411
    Neck cavity mark: CHARVEL3C
    Trem cavity mark: 2-66
    Bridge: Kahle Fulcrum
    PU: 2xJ100 + Covered J90C that seem to have replace the original one
    With pickguard
    Control: 1v + 2t
    Knobs: Black Fender Hat type (the middle one is white but i have the black original)

It's not listed in any Charvel catalogues and Pricelist.
    I only found 2 bodies for sales and one that is complet but diff control setup.
    Also on all database i found the Model 3C is not listed.

Seller told me his friend bought it in this configuration new.

Any Charvel maniac that can help ?

Thanks

Bob

As far As I am aware model 3 guitars never had fender nobs, or two tone controls. could be a pick guard change and or guitar control modification, but I have not seen a 3c model. I have an 86 model 3A with dual hum, and an 86 model 3 with hss, both have pick guards and kahler 2 post trems

Comment

I took apart the controls today and measured the pots holes and the lower one was smaller figure it was added after. The wiring is like a typical Strat with two tones.

Besides this everyrhing else seems original. Pups are Jackson’s from San Dimas, Bridge Kahler Fulcrum 2520 made in USA.

I found a post in the site in which its said that the 3C would be an HSS with pickguard version but i havent found anything that mentions this version.

I tried to upload some pictures to show the markings and other details but haven’t figure out how yet.

Comment

This is a body i found with the same 3C marking. But the pickguard is not the original

Comment

Here is a Dropbox link for tje pictures.

Comment

We all know that there are 'oddball' offshoots of models that never made a print ad, and there are always Japanese market-only models popping up that the rest of the world never saw.

But I find it odd that the only people who ever talk about a Model 3C are people who have taken the necks off and found it printed in the cavity.... as if those kinds of markings mean anything.
            Did a Model 3C exist? No one has an answer. But I'd like to find someone we know (six degrees of separation, so that we can apply a knowledge level and trustability factor) who is the original owner of one and has not modified it through the years.

That we can see what it was like in its original condition.

Comment

Hi Pianogyy,

Well I challenge you to guess these things without removing the neck or other covers. Just like the last luthier that i brought my 1987 Ibanez RG550DY to. Its not an original and so on. He called me back a couple a days later asking my price. The serial number was a small sticker on the back of the headstock and I removed it over 30 years ago thinking it was an ugly thing. lolll

Maybe the C stands for Canada and the models distributed on my side of the border were marked this way ....

But seriously, I was looking for a new superstrat and came upon this one last Friday and got in touch with the seller. I asked for more pics and discussed with the guys, and he agreed to wait for my visit on Sunday. The guy lived 1h30 from my place.

I figured it was a Model 3 that had been modified with a 3A J90C. It played great and sounded amazing but needed a little love and price was fair.

When i took it apart to check and clean everything i found theses stamps intriguing and started looking around and found no such models in any catalogue or pricelist anywhere. Came upon two body that were apparently 3C and had the exact same stamps both in the neck pocket and the 3 digits one in the tremolo cavity. Contacted Charvel service but they couldn't help me and gave me links that brought me to this forum. I figured since i am just a 3 chords basement player who loves guitars i would find someone a lot more knowledgeable then me here.

I'm not chasing info in the hope of making a few bucks. Well, if someone wants it in exchange for a 1973 Porsche 911, I could think of it. But if it's an oddity and I can find trustworthy info I would like to put it back to the original state. It's missing 3 fine tuning screws on the tremolo and the whammy bar.

After reading your message, you can be sure i will try to get a hold on the original purchaser. The seller told me he had purchased it has is from a friend who bought it new. I’m hoping it’s true and will see how it unfolds.

And regardless of all this it’s a damn great shredding machine and now regrets never purchasing one before. It will give me hours and hours of pleasure

Comment

That pickguard is modded!
                How cares 3C if it's not swimming pool routed. It's just a model 3 maybe even if it's not, still a model 3
                I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Hi John,
                  you are right the pickguard was modified. The rounded corners of the bridge cutout have been squared to fit the covered J90C. Also there must have been a ring around the PU since screw holes are present.

Regarding the cavity under the pickguard it is indeed a long one from the neck to the bridge.

thanks for your output

Bob

Comment

Here's a model 2 I owned with the same trem as yours, nothing but the year and bridge is different than any other model two as I've owned more than this one both red though

86 model 2.jpg

One I still own below, really no big thing besides the bridge( they both felt the same

model2 with case.jpg

and they should have a J90 in them.

I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Gorgeous piece i have to say. And honestly thats the model i should own. I’m not a great player far from it and I play 90% of the time on the bridge pickup. I love the brightness it has on most of my many mistress. I started back playing has the Covid started. I had stopped about 20 years ago. Reslized i just wasnt giving my self the time for it.

Quick question. Does your tremolo have the replacable post lip ? Mine doesn’t. This section is one piece and match the small post type in early model apparently.

Comment

I don't remove necks on my guitars unless I have to, but the ones I have removed I never found Charvel and the model # stamped. the ones I have seen where what seemed like random sharpe markings in the neck pocket. This is interesting.

Comment

Hi Paranoid,

it struck me to.

The guitar was very dusty and dirty. There was also something that was spilled on it and i figured lets take it apart and clean it all up. This would also allow me to polish the body. Its in almost perfect shape besides some surface scratches. I found fine tuning screws but still looking for the whammy bar.

Comment

Originally posted by BobClou View Post
                            Hi,

Newbie here and just got my hand on a stunning Ferrari Red Charvel Model 3 with some oddities. Maybe someone can help me here.

Serial: 228411
                            Neck cavity mark: CHARVEL3C
                            Trem cavity mark: 2-66
                            Bridge: Kahle Fulcrum
                            PU: 2xJ100 + Covered J90C that seem to have replace the original one
                            With pickguard
                            Control: 1v + 2t
                            Knobs: Black Fender Hat type (the middle one is white but i have the black original)

It's not listed in any Charvel catalogues and Pricelist.
                            I only found 2 bodies for sales and one that is complet but diff control setup.
                            Also on all database i found the Model 3C is not listed.

Seller told me his friend bought it in this configuration new.

Any Charvel maniac that can help ?

Thanks

Bob
                            Check this.

import charvel model series manufactured in the Japanese Chu Shin Gakki factory, charvel model 1, charvel model 2, charvel model 3, charvel model 4, charvel model 5, charvel model 6, charvel model 7, model 8, wear a neckplate with Charvel Jackson P.O. Box 2344 Fort Worth, TX 76113. Fort Worth Era us charvels, charvel model kahler, Kahler, Floyd Rose, superstrat, charvel texas neck plate are great guitars.

Comment

Hi Razor,

Thanks for your help.

I have seen this page but like all the others there are no mentions of a 3C model.

Maybe it's a model that was supposed to be but never came to market and the bodies have been completed and sold has Model 3's.

But i would be suprise that the neck and tremolo cavities markings meant nothing. I have been dealing with asian manufacturing for quite a long time and japanese are reknown for their organisation and structured work.

It sure is an interesting find and journey.

Bob
                              Last edited by BobClou; 02-24-2022, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X