Charvel Green Meanie HSH so pro mod humbucker issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Green Meanie HSH so pro mod humbucker issues

Hello all! Noob here. I just recently purchased a Green Meanie the other day, and I noticed that the bridge pickup sounds completely wimpy compared to the neck; and even the single in the middle. I checked the pickup height and it seems fine. It has a very low volume and a wimpy distortion in comparison. I’m thinking either a wire got loose, or the bridge pup is defective. I went online looking for a wiring diagram. I’m guessing i’m going to have to open it up and take a look. Has ANYONE had a similar issue, or perhaps know of a remedy/fix? I really appreciate it. Thanks!

check the pickup impedance. you can do it easily by flipping the switch to the bridge pickup, turn all the knobs to full volume, plug a cable into the jack, and measure the resistance with your multimeter at the other end of the cable (from tip to sleeve)

Comment

Hey Metalhobo,
      I appreciate it. On the road for a while, so it’ll be a couple of weeks or so before i can try it out. The bridge PU is a SD TB-6 which is listed at 17.4K.
      (FYI: the other two pups are middle single coil SSL-6 at 13.3K, and the neck humbucker SH-6N at 13.0K)

What’s usually the culprit for something like this? A mis-wire?
      a defective pu?

I’m guessing if it’s a broken wire it wouldn’t work at all?

I’ll let you know what happens! I also downloaded a SD wiring diagram from their website.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Rhetro View Post
        Hey Metalhobo,
        I appreciate it. On the road for a while, so it’ll be a couple of weeks or so before i can try it out. The bridge PU is a SD TB-6 which is listed at 17.4K.
        (FYI: the other two pups are middle single coil SSL-6 at 13.3K, and the neck humbucker SH-6N at 13.0K)

What’s usually the culprit for something like this? A mis-wire?
        a defective pu?

I’m guessing if it’s a broken wire it wouldn’t work at all?

I’ll let you know what happens! I also downloaded a SD wiring diagram from their website.

Thanks again!
        yeah, if there was a broken wire the resistance could show as very large. on the other hand if one of the coil is shorted out the resistance might show up as half of what it should be. and if the coils were in parallel it would be a quarter.
        Last edited by metalhobo; 03-20-2022, 12:39 PM.

Comment

New or used? Had a weak sounding hum in the bridge semi recently and upon inspection the color codes weren’t heeded correctly from a previous owner.
          Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
          My collection also there!

Comment

Hey guys, back at the house.
            It’s a used guitar. I checked out the impedance with a multimeter (at 20k) and cable:

Neck 12.65
            neck/mid 4.4
            mid 3.6
            mid/bridge 5.2
            bridge 0

something is definitely up

Comment

I tried posting a J-peg of the SD HSH wiring scheme, but this forum wouldn’t let do that (don’t know why i’m logged in)
              I guess open it up and look for the proper wiring scheme?

Comment

Your volume and tone knobs were all the way up at 10?

Looks like your guitar has been dicked with.

Comment

Working...
                X