Kahler Fulcrum Trem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler Fulcrum Trem

Hi folks, I just bought a Charvel Model 2 in Pearl White for a pretty good price, but it has this Kahler Traditional Fulcrum trem and I am wondering if these are junk? They look like they are. What would you guys recommend as far as replacing it? Also the clamp pieces are missing and I was wondering if they can be replaced. The action is pretty high and a friend of mine said that the nut might need to be raised slightly to be able to lower the action, any advise on what to do with that? Thanks a bunch for any replies.

Re: Kahler Fulcrum Trem

I replaced mine with original Floyds...I didn't like them but honestly didn't give them much of a chance at the time.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks Shawn, I think it is a model 2500 Kahler fulcrum trem and its all there, but I think I will dump it for an OFR. Do you have any opinion on the stock model 2 humbucker?

Comment

I have a 1986 Model 3A that has the Kahler Fulcrum and I love it. I had a model 2 that had the Kahler Fulcrum. They are good trems. I prefer them over the other trems Charvel used. They are much easier to restring and maintain than a Floyd. But parts are rare. If you want to change to a floyd you will have drill new stud holes and route out part of the body for the floyd to fit. As far as the high action the guitar probably needs a good setup. The action on my 3A is as low as any of my floyded guitars. The missing clamps I believe StuMac sale replacements, and someone around here may even have some for sale.

Comment

Thanks for the info mudkicker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Appreciate it!

Comment

Let me know what parts you need if you decide to give the trem a try. I have a parted one that is slowly getting smaller due to other JCF members need parts!

Bret
            www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Thanks Bret, will do. I don't have the clamp screws for the nut, but I found some at http://www.axeparts.net/ I think I will give this thing a go. I'm not much of a trem guy in the first place. I need to have Budman make me a replacement bar as well.

Comment

They really aren't bad, for a non-locking trem. I'm confused though, why would you raise the nut to lower the action???
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I like mine just fine on my 86 3A.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    They really aren't bad, for a non-locking trem. I'm confused though, why would you raise the nut to lower the action???

[/ QUOTE ]

The strings are pretty close to buzzing at the first fret and if I lower the bridge (Which I need to do) they will be even worse, hence shimming the nut. I can't think of any other way to do it. The neck is flat.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The strings are pretty close to buzzing at the first fret and if I lower the bridge (Which I need to do) they will be even worse, hence shimming the nut. I can't think of any other way to do it. The neck is flat.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      it could be the neck is to flat. Try letting off the truss rod a bit. If that does not work you are on the right path with shimming, and changing the nut.

Comment

Those are damn good little bridges. I've had several and no complaints here. They stay in tune extremely well but require a bit more maintenance than a locking bridge. Keep 'em clean and lubed and they rock!
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                        X