Model A question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model A question

Hey gang, Just throwing this out there....

I'm considering grabbing a Model A (I've got a line on one pretty cheap) so I was curious what everyone (that may own one) thinks of them. I'd more than likely change the Live Wires out of it to Distortions...but what's the overall opinion on how they're built/feel/etc...

Re: Model A question

someone?...anyone? [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

If I had ever played one I would give you my opinion. But I've heard good things.

Comment

Great Guitars Warrior..... I sold mine to VanOsbourne this past year. The Livewires are way too hot to play anything clean on but are great pickups for metal. The guitar itself was a fantastic guitar. The necks have a superfast feel to them and the overall a great buy for the price. Mike (VanOsbourne) can feel you in on them too. I believe he has two of them now. Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks Travis and Brad!

Comment

Very thin neck, extremely fast ebony board. Live wires need to be chained to the floor they're so out of control. One of them ate my cat when it got too close ! Very well made and beautiful guitars. Here's a pic of mine if you're interested:

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Great Guitars Warrior..... I sold mine to VanOsbourne this past year. The Livewires are way too hot to play anything clean on but are great pickups for metal. The guitar itself was a fantastic guitar. The necks have a superfast feel to them and the overall a great buy for the price. Mike (VanOsbourne) can feel you in on them too. I believe he has two of them now. Hope that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] I just went back and read all the spelling errors and wrong usage of certain words/synonyms. Sorry guys, this is unlike me to make these kinds of mistakes.
              .....Must quit drinking so much. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Very thin neck, extremely fast ebony board. Live wires need to be chained to the floor they're so out of control. One of them ate my cat when it got too close ! Very well made and beautiful guitars. Here's a pic of mine if you're interested:

[/ QUOTE ]

Breathtaking axes!!! especially the reversed fins on ebony, doesn't get much better to me. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I loved the one I got from Brad so I bought another one.

I absolutly love these guitars. They both play like butter.
                  The sound is fantastic for heavy stuff. Clean...well if you like you clean a little dirty its ok. Both of mine are well built with no flaws that I can find.

I rate Model A's a 9 out of 10. I subtract a point simply because of the lack of a good clean sound. You can get a decent clean sound by rolling off the volume... alot of volume. But that is not practical when playing live, so I just go with the "dirty" clean.

If you've got a chance to get one of these under $500 I'd jump on it. They have been going up in price. I've been seeing them on the bay from $500-$700.

Good Luck, Mike.

Comment

Heartfielder, how much for the 3DR??? That pearl white has probably turned nice and creamy by now! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks guys!...Like I said...I've got a line on one for under $500 and super clean, so due to popularity here...I think I'll drop the dime on it. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Go for it. I wanna see pics. What finish is it?

Comment

Wine red...pics posted when it gets to me! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I've had a cobalt blue one for over a year, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I might use it for next Friday's gig though as the set will consist mostly of the heavier tunes. I've the following mods to improve it so far:

1.) Replaced crappy JT580LP with chrome OFR
                            2.) Replaced black P/UP rings with chrome rings
                            3.) Replaced locking nut with better quality chrome version
                            3.) Replaced tuners with chrome Grovers
                            4.) Replaced black string tree with chrome
                            5.) Filed down locking nut shelf to accomodate new nut
                            6.) Fret level and polish
                            7.) The neck had too much relief no matter how I adjusted the rod. I clamped the neck into a back bow condition and tightened the truss rod. Eventually, everything sorted itself out, but the guitar sat unplayed for about 3 months.
                            8.) The original locking nut was mounted crooked on the shelf! The new nut sits flush however (!?)

The setup and quality flaws on mine were unacceptable for an $400 guitar let alone one that has an $1100 retail. Like I said, I've sorted them out pretty much now. The Live Wires are excellent pickups for Metal. If you looking for a mid gain to clean tone forget it. On a positive note, The finish is flawless, and the woods seem to be of high quality. After the fret level and setup, the guitar plays well. All in all, I would rate it on par with your average mid level import. It's okay, but doesn't really jump out at you as a quality guitar. In it's defence, I bought it from AMS and maybe they sell alot of seconds.

Comment

I had to send back 5, yes 5 SLSMG's to musicains fiend (I spelled that exactly how I wanted to Ron) because of sserious flaws. I finally just ordered a USA SLS.

Comment

Working...
                              X