Early Model Series dating guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Model Series dating guide

I had a thread started with this info, but unfortunately it is on the old board and we can't access it. We all know there is no definate way to accurately date our Charvel model series guitars unless we are the original owner. The Navy pounded "attention to detail into my brain". Over the past year or so I have been looking at a few small differences among the model series Charvels that I never paid attention to before.
    This isn't written in stone but I think this is as close as we are ever going to get on pinpointing a certain year for each model series Charvel. There will be production runovers using up the previous years parts, and parts guitars themselves that will defy a certain dating. This is only good for the bolt on models.

Model 1's - No neckplate gasket, on the neckplate next to the Charvel logo there will be a "TM" (trademark). On the head stock there will also be a TM.

Model 2-4 - Kahler trems, no neck gasket, and the same TM on the neckplate and the headstock.

1987 ( For those of you who own a known 1987 Model series please share what trade mark symbol is on the headstock)

Model 1 - Neckplate has the gasket, neckplate still shows TM.

Model 2-4 Neckplate has the gasket, also has the TM logoed neck plates. JT-6 trems.

Model 1 - Neckplate gasket, but now the neckplates have the "R"(registered trade mark) instead of the "TM". Same with the headstocks.

Model 2-4 - Same thing neckplate gasket, "R" on the neckplate and the headstock.

For the neckthoughs please check the trade mark out on your headstock and see if it follows this same pattern, I'm guessing it will. I will try and get a few picks up to show you exactly what I am talking about.

Re: Early Model Series dating guide

Here are a few pics.
    1986 My 86 model 3A. Look closely beside the logo on the neckplate you can see the "TM". Plus on the headstock. also no gasket.

1988 off of my 88 model 4. See the "R" on the neckplate and the headstock.

Comment

Interesting. I'm gonna take all this info and put it on a lil' homepage one day, for fast and eternal access.

What made them change from TM to R from 31st of December to 1st of Jan?
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I don't know much about jacksons but they seem to follow the same headstock trademark markings. i think in 88 Jackon/Charvel became a Registered trade mark. Thus changing the markings on the neckplates and headstocks.

Comment

i have a model 2 with a reg head and a t.m. plate...guess it is a transistion model!

Comment

Do you know which year it is (serial?)
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Can you tell the year of these by the ser. # ?
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

OK, just picked up a B2. It has a gasket behind the neck plate, the TM logo on the neck plate and an R on the headstock. Based on this I would say it's an '87. Anyone concur/disagree?
                How do you think we fund this organization? We're not exactly the March of Dimes.

Comment

Yes I would say that is an 87.

Comment

A year and a half ago I could have probably helped with this thread because I had at least one of every model series ever made (86's, 87's, and 88's) but I've sold all of them except these two, and they're the one "model" series everyone always seems to forget about. (no problem dating them either!)

My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

My '86 Model 4 has TM on the headstock and it has gasket under the neck plate.

I'm not sure about the gasket thing. I've had lots of Model Series guitar and they have all had gaskets.

Actual mileage may vary [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Did the bodies change? I may have misunderstood, but I think some people were talking about differences in the belly cut after '86 in an eFraid thread about one of Neal's auctions. Did the '86 models have the San Dimas control route?

Comment

The efraid thread was comparing the belly cut of the MIJ Model Series to the USA San Dimas Charvels.

Comment

Yeah, I just reread it. MM posted a pic that shows it pretty clearly, & answers my question about the control route, too. What threw me was the last post of the thread where 83SanDimas said "1986 models had longer cuts than the following years. Does looks like a chandler." Just wasn't sure if he was referring to Model Series bodies at that point. Probably not.

Comment

I have a model 3 with gasket and trade mark in the neckplate and R in headstock, I think it's an 87?
                              That means that these model 3 were made only in 1987? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X