What do Model 5 electronics do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do Model 5 electronics do?

I have a first year Model 5 with active electronics. The first knob is volume, the second is tone, and the third appears to do nothing. I can't tell a difference in the guitar sound whether there is a battery installed or not. Can anyone tell me what the active circuit is for and what the third knob is supposed to do? Also, a schematic would be appreciated. I'm taking the guitar to my amp tech to see if he can do anything for the electronics next week.

Tom

Re: What do Model 5 electronics do?

I think that it´s a mid booster...

Comment

it is a mid boost. sounds like you have a problem if you can't hear a difference.

Comment

Does it have the original pups in it? I've seen a few guitars where someone bypassed the mid boost circuit when installing different pups. Something you might check.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

If it works without the battery installed, I believe it is bypassed. My model 4 had no signal whatsoever if there was no battery installed. If it is wired up properly, it will sound you are turning up the mid tone control on your amp, except it is on your guitar-almost like a weak wah wah sound.

Comment

> The Model 5 came with the JE-1000 preamp,which is basically the same thing as the EMG Afterburner and the current Jackson Firestorm preamp,it's a 0-20db gain boost. It might not be noticable if the battery is weak,or might be disconnected,but running normal you will hear a difference,especially at low guitar volumes. Tommy D.
            "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

<font color="aqua">Wow, yours came with the J1000 preamp? I've had 3 model 5's and they all had the J1200 midboost preamp with the 3 knobs. Also according to the catalog I have, they came with the J1200 stock, are you sure it hadn't been switched out? Just curious, as we all know some of the Japanese models had "oddities" come off the line. </font>
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

&gt; It sure did,this particular one has stayed local since it was new,and has never been modded,but was repaired. The hanger broke in the shop,cracking the body right through the tone knob hole,and tore the low E corner of the headstock off,not sure who did the repairs but it was sent initially back to Ft. Worth,if I'm not mistaken they used to contract out all warranty repairs to GMW,it was originally Cobalt Blue but came back Vintage Ivory,and has yellowed to an incredible hue. I will not part with it,but if I catch Chuck slippin',I will have a 5A to match it,LOL. Tommy D.
                "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

<font color="aqua">Hey, that's a pretty interesting story, got a pic? I'd love to see it! </font>
                  Dave ->

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    <font color="aqua">Hey, that's a pretty interesting story, got a pic? I'd love to see it! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
                    Is there any way to tell what a jackson electronics board is with out hearing it? I have one that just says Jackson on it, and i have no idea what it is.

Comment

<font color="aqua">Got a pic Roy? The J1000's have a little blue trim pot on the board to adjust the "gain" of the preamp which allows you to dial in a certain sound. The J1200 has no pot on it except of course the volume pot [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
                      Dave ->

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        <font color="aqua">Got a pic Roy? The J1000's have a little blue trim pot on the board to adjust the "gain" of the preamp which allows you to dial in a certain sound. The J1200 has no pot on it except of course the volume pot [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">I believe I made a mistake here. The J1000 has the dip switch and a trim pot on it, the J1500 has just the trim pot and the J1200 is the basic mid boost preamp with no adjustments built on to the board(except the volume).

Sorry about that..I'm a bit under the weather and add to that, that I'm just an idiot at times..... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
                        Dave ->

Comment

Which "times" are they Dave ? Ha Ha !!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Which "times" are they Dave ? Ha Ha !!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">unfortunately, it's "all" the times....... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
                            Dave ->

Comment

I guess I'll take it to my amp/bench tech and get it checked out. There are multitudes of wires soldered to and from the board, and none are disconnected. BTW, both pups have 'Jackson' written on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X