86-88charvel model 6/5a ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86-88charvel model 6/5a ?

what's up I have an 86 model 6 (kahler Pro)and I also had 2 usa jackson soloists a 2000 sl2(transblack) and a 93 sl1(black holoflake) still have the sl1 does anybody know what body wood was used for the early CHARVELS I use the same model dimarzio in the Jacksons and the Charvel but the charvel sounds way better than the Jacksons.I am having a friend of mine custom build me a neckthru pretty much a model 5a but with a kahler instead of a floyd I know the Jacksons are alder but what are the charvels if anyone has an old catalog and could look this up for me it would be a wonderfull thing ...TAHNX---MAG
    www.myspace.com/goreality1

Re: 86-88charvel model 6/5a ?

I have an 87 Model 6 and I believe they are Poplar. Heavy wood, but awesome tone and sustain. BTW - I bought mine in 87 (it was on layaway for a couple months) and always assumed it was an 87 but I have a Kahler. Is there any way to tell for sure?
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

from what I understand Jackson/charvel only used the kahler trems from 85-early 86 and then changed to the jt6 halfway through the year I know for a fact the floyd was used from 87 on hope that helps

Comment

<font color="aqua">Yes, the Model 6 was rock maple neckthru with Poplar "wings". As for dating the neckthru's, the serial number that starts with a "C" is followed by a number which usually tells the year. For example, an C8XXXXX means it "should" be a 1988 model. In 86, the serial number is on the back of the headstock in a plastic type label under the clear. Later on, they stamped the number after the last fret. </font>
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

hey that's pretty good didn't know that about the serial numbers I know they started stamping the nubers at the bottom of the fretboard on the toothpast logo models but didn't know that's how you dated so looking at mine now my serial is C6xxxxxx so if it were C7xxxxxx it would be an 87 learn something new every decade so the wings are poplar thanks for the info

Comment

Well I'll check my serial # when I get home. Another question (off-topic), I found out about jcf from jemsite. Now, jemsite has an option when you post to get an email notification when there is a reply. Does JCF have that?

Comment

<font color="aqua">Actually before we moved to the new software we used to have that option. I don't believe it's available on the JCF anymore and I must say that I miss it also. </font>
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I'd be willing to bet that the Kahler is a bigger factor than the wood in the difference in tone between the guitars. It's all a matter of personal taste, but there are some people on this board who will swear up &amp; down that the Kahlered Model 5 &amp; 6 sound way better than the later ones with the JT-6. I haven't played one with a Kahler, but when I swapped the JT-6 for an OFR in my Model 6 it changed the tone way more than I expected, so I imagine there might even be a bigger difference with a Kahler. Since you really seem to prefer the tone with the Kahler, it's probably the right bridge to go with on the one your friend is building for you. I'd like to see that one when it's done, so I hope you post some pics for us!

Comment

yep I already got a hold of a used kahler pro,kahler-lock and a set of jackson tuners he will be using a carvin neckthru neck(he doesn't do necks)with the uncut headstock and shape it like a Jackson he has made some baddass guitars he did a punisher skull bolt-on and it looks sick like done in a factory custom shop right down to the paint I'll probably have him do it over the winter when it is done I will post picks and maybe drum up somemore bussiness for him

Comment

Cool! Hey, I just realized I forgot to mention what is probably the most important difference b/t Kahler &amp; Floyd axes: so much less wood is routed out of the body for the Kahler. Also, with the soloists you've got ebony vs. rosewood boards, and quartersawn necks. USA soloists tend to sound brighter to me than a Model 6.

Comment

I just noticed that on a model 4 body I got from Budman (buffing out scratches as we speak!) it is much lighter than MY '86 model 4. This newer body (with FLoyd route-so 87-88 I guess) is super-light. DId they change body woods between 86 and later years on the bolt-ons?

Comment

really, through my experience my usa jacksons tend to be deeper sounding than my model 6 and the model 6 has a crunch from hell and is much clearer soundind(tuned to B at full gain) using the same amp settings,tuning,strings and pickups.the neck on the model 6 is also much more comfortable than my 93 sl1 I still own and the 2000 sl2 I sold. the neck on the 2000 was like a tree trunk compared to the model 6 and 93 sl1.does anyone know the dates Jackson changed the heel and neck specs 85 to present I think I may try to get ahold of a 85 or 86 soloist(every time I see em on ebay there PINK or something gay like that)and see if I can get the same sound out of it as I have my CHarvel if the charvels had ebony boards I wouldn't bother trying to get another Jackson but ebony feels so sweet

Comment

Well I checked my serial # and it's C6XXXXX - an '86! All this time I thought it was an '87 -lol. Not that it matters, it will always be my #1. Thanks for the info, Budman.

Comment

Model 6's RULE!

Comment

I just got my new 5A in, and this think is great. It's light as a feather, and the sound is great! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X