Woods of model 3...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woods of model 3...

Regards to all, I'm new in this forum and I write from Chile, then sorry for my english.
    Someone knows what are the woods in model 3?.(body, neck,fretboard)
    My Charvel is MIJ very similar to Model 3A ,that appears in the previous post (with pics), but with one hum and 2 single coils and a Jt6 Floyd Rose.I think is from 1987-88.
    If anybody can give me more info about this model i be very grateful. You can imagine what difficult are to get some information about this matters in my country...
    Thanks and bye

Re: Woods of model 3...

I believe all the bolt on neck model series guitars were Basswood bodies(except the model 88 that is mahagony) , maple neck and either rosewood or maple fretboard.If your guitar has a 5 way switch it is a model 3.If it has three mini switches it is a model 4.Hope this helps.

Mike
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I believe all the bolt on neck model series guitars were Basswood bodies

[/ QUOTE ]
      I believe you are correct. And the neck-thru Model series guitar bodies were made of poplar.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Welcome [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Well, I believe that all the model series had BASSWOOD bodies. The neck is going to be maple, and if the fretboard is dark colored its rosewood, and if its colored the same as the back of the neck, its maple.

As for the dating, a theory has been devised by somebody on these boards. (or multiple persons, I cant remember the names to give them credit, sorry)

By looking at the neck plate: you can tell that:

86's-> Have NO plastic plate underneath metal neck plate, and will have a "TM" for "Trade Mark" at the end of where it says "Charvel", so it should read "Charvel TM"

87's-> HAVE a plastic plate underneath the metal plate, and it says "TM" for Trade Mark after "Charvel" on the neck plate.

88's-> HAVE a plastic plate underneath the metal neck plate as well, but instead of TM, they say "(R)" for Registered trade mark.

Other Info: I think the late 80's model series are about the best guitar your can get for the buck. I have an 88 Model 1A (its just like a strat, except for the pointy charvel/jackson headstock) that I got for a $200, and its one of my best purchases ever! A great quality guitar, with very good woods. Very heavy too! it has a swimming pool route basswood body and its still heavier than any ash bodied strat made today.

So rock hard, and it will rock back. If you get fed up with the JT6 tremolo, An Original Floyd rose will easily "drop-in" with no modifications. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] (I believe, somebody confirm this please)

Comment

oh, thanks for the info up to the moment.....yes, is a rosewood fretboard,the body is basswood (is bolt-on)... and for the theory is an 1987 , says TM in the neckplate. But in the headstock says R (with a circle) ¿?....
          Anybody knows haw many parts are the body (woods parts), and what are the exact size of the frets (extra jumbo?).
          I agree , the sound of this guitar is very good, the wood are very resonant (i think it's the word), and is greater than the others MIJ guitars i tried. I'm think of replace the pickups for seymour duncans.
          Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Welcome to the board yatser!

Comment

Working...
            X