Help and some questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help and some questions..

Hey jg, its not twisted the problem is at the lower frets from maybe 15th on. It just buzzes like crazy, I was told a rising tounge I took the neck off and there was a shim under the bottom of the board.

Took it out and it didn't go away but it seems a bit better. How do I sight the neck? I have messed about with guitars for years but never the neck how do I check it and what am I looking for? Thank you so much for the offer maybe I may just take you up on it.

Comment

dude if you don't want to get ripped, send it to someone on this board for a setup and thorough checkout. that way you know its in good hands and that it will get done right.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

To sight the neck, hold the guiter like a rifle (body at your shoulder) and close one eye. Look down the edge of the fretboard (both sides) and it should appear fairly straight, or very slightly curved away from the strings. Usually there will be a slight change where it bolts on due tot he rigidity of the neck joint. If there is a major "hump" there or it looks like a ski ramp, this is the "rising tongue" you are talking about. I also like to sight down the middle of the neck (line up the dots) and check to see if it looks twisted.

ALso, if you have a good metal strightedge about 18" long, lay it along the frets form the first fret to the last. The straightedge should touch both frets and the gap between the frets and the straightedge should get gradually larger toward the 12th fret (neck relief-you might be able to slide a thin pick between the ruler and 12th or 14th frets. If the ruler is not touching the 1st and last, you have either a high fret or not enough relief in the neck.

The shim may also have been the problem, because if the neck bolts were tightended too much, it may have created a hump in the end of the fretboard where the shim was.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Hey jg, its not twisted the problem is at the lower frets from maybe 15th on. It just buzzes like crazy, I was told a rising tounge I took the neck off and there was a shim under the bottom of the board.

Took it out and it didn't go away but it seems a bit better. How do I sight the neck? I have messed about with guitars for years but never the neck how do I check it and what am I looking for? Thank you so much for the offer maybe I may just take you up on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the problem was at the upper frets?

Comment

You guys rock! jg, sorry got things turned around! lol I should've explained it better, its on the lower end of the neck. The 1st through 13th frets play fine.

Comment

Seems to me that somebody has thier "uppers" and "lowers" confused. I think Johns original idea was corrct.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...35831&rd=1

Comment

Etaeniura has the right ideas for as to how to troubleshoot the problem. It sounds like the issue is on the bass side of the 15th fret on up where the D, A, E are deadening out. You can try raising that offending saddle with a shim for the string that is buzzing as a quick fix. The rest of the suggestions for a replacement are great if you want a quick easy potentiually no hassle fix. No model one neck is worth 200.00 - 330.00 to repair as they are so easily available. I think a suggestion of a total refret would be unnecessary in this case if the other frets up to the twelfth are ok unless they are thinking of pulling all frets, planing the fretboard level then refreting.

A new neck is probably going to be the best route and they are about 75.00. You can buy a warmoth parts guitar for cheap and get a strathead for that as well. I see them going in various places for around 200.00.

Comment

Working...
                  X