Help and some questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help and some questions..

Ok here's the deal, how much is too much? I just got a model 1 (see pics in other thread) there is some buzzing on the higher frets. Adjusted the truss rod played a bit with it no effect.

So I go the repair shop, he tells me it has a rising tounge upbow at the lower frets it needs a fret job, he also added a new nut needs to be done and new saddles for the bridge. He recommended removing the finish from the neck, and sealing it so it would be bare wood with protectant.

The cost for all of this? 330 dollars for a guitar I spent 279 for. I know this is a very hard question to answer, but is a model one worth the expense? I'm asking you guys beause I don't really know if this is a good way to go for a M1. I know its up to me but I want input and advice on this one.

Thanks

Re: Help and some questions..

someone here should be able to sell you a model series neck in good shape for much less, or try ebay. If you are not all about keeping it original, just about any strat neck should fit-I think carvin sells them for about 100 bucks and some change, and they are supposed to be awesome necks. You could have Warmoth do one with a pointy headstock for a little more and you could get a logo decal. Either way, save the original neck in case you ever decide you want to restore it.

What on earth does the neck finish have to do with anything? Unless this is a repair shop that you trust 100%, I would get a second opinion.

Comment

He had said that the finish was going to have to come off the finger board to sand the tounge out and put in new frets. He added that it makes a big difference in playability. He was not trying to push me to do it, as a matter of fact he said think about it for a while.

I like the guitar but 330 seems a bit steep to do this.

Comment

First thing's first.. Try another shop.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

Thanks I definately will get a second opinion. Do you think that's a bit excessive for a repair of that nature?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            He had said that the finish was going to have to come off the finger board to sand the tounge out and put in new frets. He added that it makes a big difference in playability. He was not trying to push me to do it, as a matter of fact he said think about it for a while.

I like the guitar but 330 seems a bit steep to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck is a tounge? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

For a fretjob, I can't see paying more than 80 and the same to re-align the neck.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Sounds like an unpressured HOSE JOB to me. I would try a neck shim 1st. That will usually take care of some buzz on the upper frets if the truss rod isn't doing it for you. Shim it at the front part of the neck pocket. I use fine sandpaper. Cut it to the width of the neck pocket, loosen the 4 bolts and push the neck forward. Insert the shim in the front part of the neck pocket in between the 2 front neck screws. Line her back up and tighten the neck down. Retune and set up your bridge. You will probably have to lower the bridge. That should do it.

Comment

I think unfortunatly I have a piece of junk. I found a shim on the lower end of the neck removed it and still had the problem. Put it in the front and same thing. I got screwed. My usual tech said 220 for the fix. I paid 270 for this garbage and I sure as hell don't think a model 1 is work over 400 bucks.

Probably part the thing out and call it a day, bummer too because I thought it was kind of a cool guitar. I will NEVER buy from e bay and I think I going to stay away from Model 1s I like a bit higher food chain guitars anyway.

Comment

Is the neck straight? If it is twisted you need a new neck. If it is backbowed and the truss rod won't correct it, you need a new neck. You can pick up a neck on Ebay easily for under $100.00. Probably even under $75.00.
                    I don't know where you are located but if you want to box it up and send it to me I will have a go at it for you. I bet I could get it set up providing the neck isn't twisted.
                    If not... look for a neck on Ebay. Model 1's are great guitars.

Comment

Either do that with JG (good idea), find a cheap neck, or worst case if you don't wanna rebuild the guitar, just find another one on the bay.

They are great guitars, but the cost to get another one that will likely be a great piece, is cheaper than 330 for sure. Lotsa good stuff on the bay really. Just look to sellers with high and good feedback, examine feedback closely and see what their customers say, and what they've sold succesfully without trouble. That is most of the battle.

if you move up, check the 475s those are my fav for the dough.

Comment

My favorites are the Predator and the 275dlx. I just love those dinky bodies.

Comment

send it to JG's he's top notch! it will be worth your while, model 1's are kick ass!

hey jg, you still liking that avenger?
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I have 2 Avengers now. I love those guitars. My favorite is my 7-up green 275dlx though. I play that guitar more than any other.

Comment

DOn't part it out....too many otherwise good guitars are turned into mutts this way. Definitely find a new neck and salvage this for the sake of Charvel enthusiasts! Nothing irritates me more than going on ebay and seeing the neck, body, trem, and pickups all from the same guitar being sold seperately. That is like selling the transmission from a perfectly good car just to make a few bucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X