Modified Model 5fx arrived today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified Model 5fx arrived today

He did good work filling the neck pup cavity.

Story is that a previous owner tried to route it for a hum in the neck, and screwed it all to hell. So he filled it, cut a wicked scoop, and sprayed it black. The refin isn't bad: it has some dings and scrapes, but has held up pretty well.

Here is what he said he did to fill the pup hole:

"i make a template of the hole to be filled and cut three 1/4 inch peices of maple to the template and glue(gorilla glue) them in one by one to eliminate air pockets. i then use a mixture of epoxy and plastic wood for filling small areas and edges"

I can't see any signs of shrinkage.

Looks like the rear covers were homemade, and not very pretty. Original paint was green? He also filled the original volume pot hole, and drilled another. Wish he hadn't, but oh well.

Auction ended at $207 with hard case, and $35 to ship. He put new strings on it, and for once (for me) the trem is set up correctly. Has a Gototh licensed Floyd: that was added later, right?

Pics are large, and not very good. And I need to vacuum the carpet.

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3

Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Re: Modified Model 5fx arrived today

are you sure he drilled another volume pot hole? Some 5FXs came with a tone pot, some didn't, so he may have just moved the volume to the tone hole. (love a guitar with a good tone hole...)

The Gotoh was definitely aftermarket. So how's it play?

Congrats, Keith. Looks like a deal to me! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Actually, no I'm not sure. I just thought they had two holes, and one (the one closest to the bridge pup) has been filled, so I figured he drilled the other.

It plays really well, especially for only two minutes of tweaking, and most of that was tuning. It is set up low and consistent, and the neck is in good shape. This thing is really light.

I need to clean it, and smooth out some scratches on the back of the neck. I think I see an EMG 81 in its future.

I'm very pleased! Even though it is black. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Keith

Comment

<font color="aqua">That looks like it turned out to be a decent deal eh Keith? Congrats bro! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Yeah, Dave, I'm happy - now let's see, who do we know who might be able to make some cavity covers? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Keith

Comment

I was watchin that one myself. Even with all the little things, it's still a great deal for the money. I like the scoop. Hell, it's a real good candidate for a refin if you were real picky about the finish, but probably good to go the way it is.

Nice Score!
            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I was hoping someone here would end up with that one. Congrats Keith! Looks to me like the guy did a pretty decent job on the mod. I like the scoop too.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
              X