need advice on a model series for beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: need advice on a model series for beginners

Plus some of the Charvettes have that oddball trem post spacing.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Easton Guitars had a nice Model 2 for sale. If Kevin still has it, maybe he can swing a deal with a JCFer to help put a young rocker on the right path...

Comment

You're not going to get away from a trem going this route, so you might as well get your son a guitar with a trem that actually stays in tune--the JT-6 or Schaller.

Comment

An '86 Model 4 with a Kahler flat-mount wouldn't be bad, either. No problem changing strings on one of those. Depending upon where you live, you can pick them up pretty cheap in the pawnshops. Here in Austin, I find Charvels all the time, and have picked up several Model 4's for $200 or less.
          Dana <~~~
          '85 Rhoads Custom
          '86 SD Str*t
          '86 Model 4 (5)
          '87 Model 1
          '87 Model 6
          '88 Model 3DR
          '90 650 XL
          '94 KE-3
          '97 DR Amberburst
          '97 Dinky BOFlames
          '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

mm, that is an idea except for the fact that i play lefty guitars,and would have to flip yet another charvel and have everyone mad at me for having a nice charvel that only i can play [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            i dont mind it having a floyd style trem on it, may as well start learning to use them as soon as he can.
            i am willing to go with a charvette as a last resort in order to stay in the actual Charvel market.
            guitarforceone, if you can find a model 4 for $200 or less in good shape let me know...that would be an xmas gift from me TO me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            so far i have spotted several on e-bay that i am intrested in and am waiting on final O.K. from the Mom. being that it will be a gift from both of us.
            thanks for the advice and input so far and keep an eye out,i will post what i go with for him.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              what is the difference in the model 1 and 1A?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 1A is top routed like a strat, and has a shallow swimming pool route.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im about to put some Dimarzio humbuckers in my 1A, have you installed any humbuckers in yours?

Because I want to know if I need to make the route deeper. Thanks.

I second the 1A. Pretty cool guitar. Cheaps as they come.

Comment

It's really cool that you are buying your son a guitar. I asked for an electric guitar just about every year starting when I was about 7 years old. My parents could never afford one, so 12 years later I bought one myself after saving some money in the USMC. I just imagine how much better of a player I would be today had I been playing all those additional years on electric. Instead I played my dad's old classical guitar starting when I was about 13. I spent high school playing Slayer tunes on a nylon string guitar!! Recently I gave an Epi Les Paul to a kid that really wanted to play electric, but whose mom couldn't afford one for him, because I know how special that would have been to me. And my mom bought him a little practice amp.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Im about to put some Dimarzio humbuckers in my 1A, have you installed any humbuckers in yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

The route is shallow, so you can do a couple of things:

- Find short screws that will fit
                  - Cut regular sized screws down to fit (which is what i did - you need to take off about a half inch - I used a jeweler's saw, but a dremel could do the job as well, or a pair of wire cutters)
                  - route slots on either side of the pool to accomodate the screws.

In all of these case you need to make sure you're humbuckers have short legs.

- You could also install them with pickup rings aroung the pickup - that might help. but i don't like the look.

I've got a Duncan Distortion and a Jazz in mine, and it rips. Also sounded good with a Duncan Screamin' Demon in it.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The route is shallow, so you can do a couple of things:

- Find short screws that will fit
                    - Cut regular sized screws down to fit (which is what i did - you need to take off about a half inch - I used a jeweler's saw, but a dremel could do the job as well, or a pair of wire cutters)
                    - route slots on either side of the pool to accomodate the screws.

In all of these case you need to make sure you're humbuckers have short legs.

- You could also install them with pickup rings aroung the pickup - that might help. but i don't like the look.

I've got a Duncan Distortion and a Jazz in mine, and it rips. Also sounded good with a Duncan Screamin' Demon in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I see. Ive done several modifications where I put humbuckers in strats, and I just wondered if this was deep enought by itself.

Ive found that if you cut the screw, you can cut it too short and the humbucker will fall off the end of it every 3 months, and i dont have a dremel or any tools ( I had to use a hand hack saw [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

I think its best to make small routes on the side. Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

i gave my sone a yamaha se110 last yr for xmas and in june i gave him an old kay acoustic. so far we play iron man,smoke on the water,bridge of sighs and wish you were here, and i have started teaching Robbie (my sons name) scales. it is a very cool way to spend time with my kids.

Comment

Check your P.M.s dude.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                        X