charvel 750xl bodywood. mahogany? dont think so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: charvel 750xl bodywood. mahogany? dont think s

That looks killer Harrald! The charvel logo is cool, I've never seen one done like that before and the graphic is cool too. What is it?
    Nice I like! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Beautiful! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] As long as you like the tone, who cares about the body wood? Pretty interesting, though. We learn something new every day here.

Comment

At the risk of someone telling me that it's wrong, the old MoAIP says that the 750XL has an Alder body.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

don't know about other 750XLs...but mine certainly sounds and weighs like a mahogany guitar.

I have a Schecter C-1 Classic (all mahogany, with maple top and rosewood board), and it weighs about the same as my 750XL. And while the two guitars sound very different due to the pickups, they share that typical mahogany thickness/sweetness of tone.

Not scientific evidence... but I am pretty sure my 750XL has a mahogany body.

Comment

thanks, the guitar does look really cool. the abalone charvel logo was partially an inlay and the neck is a solid piece of abalone with the letters "painted". the graphic is the coverart of "the new mythology suite - V" by symphony x

Todd, it is no alder either, alder would make the guitar at least as heavy as my model 6 due to the maple top so I guess it is basswood.

Harrald

Comment

I do not own a 750XL. (or any neck-thru guitar for that matter) So I don't know if it's mahogany, Alder, Basswood, or even plastic. I am just stating what the MoAIP that was originally created by Kevin Easton stated. Take the info any way you like.

This is the way it's going to go into the finished product. When it is unveiled (don't ask me when), there will be a process set in place for making corrections/changes.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Cool guitar--love the Symphony X graphic!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

And that abalone Charvel inlay is breathtaking--I wonder if the factory has ever done one like it?

As far as the basswood thingie goes, I can imagine a basswood/maple top combo giving a very nice tone. The right piece of basswood gives all of the body and warmth of mahogany, without the murky sound that mahogany can produce, while the maple top would add bite and edge to the sound that even good basswood lacks. Of course, the wrong piece of basswood sounds like crap...

Concerning the MoAIP, I remember it having its share of small errors. On the trans-finished 750s that I've seen, you can clearly make out that the body is a darker wood than the maple neck, indicating that it is most likely mahogany. An alder/maple body on a 750 would be way too bright-sounding, given the thickness of the maple top.

Comment

By Travis:

"I call shenanigans."

That's it.....get the broom.
                  [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I do not own a 750XL. (or any neck-thru guitar for that matter) So I don't know if it's mahogany, Alder, Basswood, or even plastic. I am just stating what the MoAIP that was originally created by Kevin Easton stated. Take the info any way you like.

This is the way it's going to go into the finished product. When it is unveiled (don't ask me when), there will be a process set in place for making corrections/changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">So Todd, is the catalog wrong? I know catalogs aren't perfect but I thought the fact that 750XL's were Mahogany with a maple cap was common knowledge. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] </font>
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I don't know Dave. I've not seen the catalog. As I said, I'm just stating what was in the MoAIP. There seemed to be some question as to what the wood was, I thought I'd chime in with this info.

Yes, I do know that there are some mistakes, I can even see how the mistakes happened. If you guys would like, I could stop replying with any info from the MoAIP altogether.
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

If you guys would like, I could stop replying with any info from the MoAIP altogether.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Was this sarcasm? I never meant anything snotty if that's how it came off. (Maybe the greamlin was a poor choice?) Here's the catalog page that I'm refering to (large pic warning!):

</font>
                        89 Catalog page
                        Dave ->

Comment

Sorry, I'm a bit crabby. This last week has been hell on me. I've been having a toothache that has kept me up all night for the past 3 nights. I went into the dentist and within 15 minutes of sitting in the chair, I was having a root canal. Despite the relief from the root canal (and half a numb face) I still wasn't able to sleep last night.

It's been stated many times that the MoAIP is not perfect. I know it myself. As I am working on the data, I come across things that I find are incorrect. However there are some things that I don't know are correct or not, like neck-thrus. I was just offering the info that I had.
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

<font color="aqua">Thanks for the apology Todd and I'm sorry to hear about the tooth. I always appreciate the info you have and you're one of the most knowledgable people I know (up until this alder 750XL thing anyway! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]). Seriously, I hope you feel better soon and stay off that tooth! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
                            Dave ->

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              It's been stated many times that the MoAIP is not perfect. I know it myself. As I am working on the data, I come across things that I find are incorrect. However there are some things that I don't know are correct or not, like neck-thrus. I was just offering the info that I had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa, didn't mean to be the nitpicker or be too harsh on the MoAIP. I learned a helluva lot about J/Cs there, back when it was up at the corporate site--still think it was silly of FMIC to take it down in the first place. Given the bewildering array of models J/C has produced, it shouldn't be surprising (or disappointing) if such an info page would have a few errors on it. Heck, just sorting out all of the Stealth, Fusion, Performer, etc. etc. models from the early-mid '90s is difficult enough...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa, didn't mean to be the nitpicker or be too harsh on the MoAIP. I learned a helluva lot about J/Cs there, back when it was up at the corporate site--still think it was silly of FMIC to take it down in the first place. Given the bewildering array of models J/C has produced, it shouldn't be surprising (or disappointing) if such an info page would have a few errors on it. Heck, just sorting out all of the Stealth, Fusion, Performer, etc. etc. models from the early-mid '90s is difficult enough...

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me... I know...
                                Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                                X