charvel 750xl bodywood. mahogany? dont think so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charvel 750xl bodywood. mahogany? dont think so

ok, today I got my 750xl back refinned with airbrush and all. looks killer pics will follow. some mods have been done. the colour of the original guitar sucked, and the matching head is made matching again, and the toothpaste logo is replaced with an abalone charvel USA logo (inlay, looks especially good). but fred dons (member over here as well) told me he found out the wood was not actually mahogany, but basswood... so my surprise was quite big and the guitar sounds great, but somehow I am disappointed. I know it does not make sense, but I bought a mahogany guitar, that turned out to be basswood (light colour, soft etc). no miracle it was so lightweight (which is a good thing). well the combi basswood and maple is nod bad, the EBMM EVHs had this combination as well. but psychologicly I really don't like this.

but has anyone else heared of this as well???
    serial is c900556

Harrald

Re: charvel 750xl bodywood. mahogany? dont think so

Wow. I always thought they were mahogany. I know the Jackson AT pro's are. Hmmmmmm [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

<font color="aqua"> According to the 1989 catalog, they are Mahogany, and if mine is basswood, it's the heaviest chunk of basswood I have ever felt! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Can't wait to see your pics, it sounds beautiful!</font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

well, mine might be a one of a kind or something like that, because it is really light. way lighter than my model 6

Harrald

Comment

<font color="aqua">well unfortunately we have heard of those stories about how some of the "normally" produced japanese made guitars had some quirks related to them. If it's actually lighter than your Model 6 than I think that tells us something right there. Let me ask you this, is the body thicker than the model 6? </font>
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

the side is exactly as thick as the model 6, the centre is thicker due to the carved top. the colour of the wood is also light, the colour does not resemble the colour of mahogany what so ever. the guitar was also brighter sounding than I expected for a mahogany guitar. I guess this is one of those quirks as well. strangely, the guitar really as a good tone and the strangest of things is that the sustain is unbelievable, way longer than with my 6. so it is not a bad combination actually.

I really wonder how many of these oddities float around...

Harrald

Comment

Re: charvel 750xl bodywood. mahogany? dont think s

My 750xl is way heavier than my 650xl. It's hella thick, too. I have no doubt that mine is mahogany. However, it is really interesting that yours seems to be made from basswood. I guess stranger things have happened. I guess in the end, if it sounds great, who cares. Although I'm not certain how I would feel if I found that out about mine.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Although I'm not certain how I would feel if I found that out about mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually feel kinda cheated about it. I know for certain the guy I bought it from did not know it either. I wonder how these kind of things could have happened with a guitar that costed $1000,- new in those days.

I saw the wood before I had it sent to be refinned and I was surprised about the light colour of the mahogany and I did not have the whit to recognize it as bassewood, biassed as I was

harrald

Comment

ok, some pics

Harrald

Comment

Cool, mahogany or not. Still nice.

Comment

That logo is killer [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Very nice Harrald

I will put my 2 cents in.I own three of these guitars and they are all heavy.The heaviest is the string thru.The other two are trem versions and there is a noticeable difference in weight between the two , about a pound and a half.The only difference between them is that one is a solid color the other is a trans finish.Maybe they used basswood on the solid colors as a cheap way out.The trans finishes you can see the grain of the wood on the back so it is harder to cheat.

The AT Pros like Jim said are mahogany also.But they feel more like a regular soloist in weight.There is about a .250 difference in thickness between the two models
                        Mike
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

this was a solid colour indeed

harrald

Comment

I call shenanigans.

Comment

How/where did you get the pearl Charvel logo? And no painted trem or knobs?! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                              Gotta get away from here.
                              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                              X