Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I joined the ranks!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    My first non-Buy Now auction won and my first Charvel! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3770245167
    I want to get rid of that ugly overspray grey (?) and back to, what I assume is, the original black finish under it. What would be a good way of doing that without harming the original finish?
    Oh yeah, I didn't over pay did I? [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Re: I joined the ranks!

Well, its a Charvette. So $117 isnt really overpaying. Thats about a fair price.

If its been roughed up that much, how is the writing on the pickups still pearly white? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I dont think there would be an easy way to get the original finish back intact. It was probably oversprayed to cover up some blemishes in the original paint!

I actually like the distressed grey look. I dont think the original black would be very sexy. I would strip the whole thing and repaint it. (like the oversprayer SHOULD have done)

Or you could get artsy and try giving it a cool paint job! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I was able to strip the spray paint off of a Model 4 using rubbing compound and a lot of elbow grease. It took about 4-5 hours, but left the original finish mostly intact. Once the overspray was gone, I buffed it with polishing compound.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Ebay is a Disgrace!

Comment

You should be able to get that spray paint off using nail polish remover and a soft cloth.
          Be gentle, though. Or you may go through the original clear coat.

Comment

and work in a very well ventilated area, outside is best.
            A mask wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

Oh yeah.
              Good point!
              Thanks! I forgot about the safety part... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I would leave it as it is, I think it looks cool. It's a plywood body, but who cares for that price. If it is anything like mine, it will play really nice.

Definitely a good beater.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Did they make a Charvette with Fusion specs?........
                  Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

yes, the 270, & the 170.
                    http://www.jacksoncharvelworld.net/h...atologe/4c.jpg

His would be the 170.

Comment

at least it has the JT-6 and not one of those real cheap floyd copies like some charvettes had. FOr just over 100 bucks I would say you could turn that into a real nice guitar. If the paint is just like some cheap krylon or something, I would try scraping it off with something plastic like and old credit card. Then you could buff out any scratches with some auto rubbing compound.

THe charvette necks are pretty similar if not exactly like the model series necks, so you know it will at least be a decent player.

Comment

<font color="aqua">Congrats! That looks like a great project - [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
                        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Weren't some of the 170s and 270s made with basswood bodies? Seems like Charvel750 had said that once upon a time...Oh yeah, congratulations on the score! Of the Charvette kingdom you got one of the top 2 models and it sghould be a great player! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

yes, I believe some of the Charvettes, I would assume these since they are double locking, fusion style...they were solidbody.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              yes, I believe some of the Charvettes, I would assume these since they are double locking, fusion style...they were solidbody.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been told that some were solid, but not necessarily the 170RRs and 270RRs. I have a 270RR, and it is definitely plywood.
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                              X