Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on the jackson mid boost ? Keep or trash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on the jackson mid boost ? Keep or trash?

Who keeps that Jackson mid boost that came in the Model 6 among others. Do you find it worth while tone wise or do you just trash it and rewire the guitar.

There is one for sale right now on eBay and I wonder if I shoud buy it and rewire my new Model 6 to stock specs. Is this a waste of time and money?

I was told that it only works with humbuckers and that even those Jackson single coils in the Model 6 are actually stacked humbuckers. False?

BTW how would this boost work in a Strat instead of the last tone control?

It has been so long since I used one that I can not recall if they were good or not. Besides the Jackson pickups, were they any good with aftermarket ones like Duncan's and the like?

Thanks!

Re: Opinions on the jackson mid boost ? Keep or trash?

I didn't particularly care for it, but I don't play in a band. I think some others find it useful for boosting mids while soloing or something. As far as I know it will work with any passive pickups-exactly how well, I couldn't say. If you get it at a good price, I would say go ahead and try it. If you decide you do not like it, there is usually someone willing to buy them on here so you could flip it pretty quick.

Comment

Rewire the guitar, Sell the Mid-boost to me if you don´t like it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Rewire the guitar, Sell the Mid-boost to me if you don´t like it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, there you have it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Damn, I wouldn't mind it either if you didn't like it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Sorry if I threw anyone here a curve ball but I do not actually have the mid boost. The Model 6 that I just bought does not have it and as such I was curious if I should buy one from say eBay and install it.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Just my opinion, but if you have the stock pickups in there, they'll sound better with the mid boost. I find this to be especially true for the J-200 stacked hums, which really seem to need it to have any punch. The electronics manual says that they were designed specifically to work with the active systems.

Comment

I loved the midboost when I had my Model 6. Kevin Easton told me one time that Jackson's electronics will indeed work with all passive pickups but sound best with Jackson's for some reason.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I hated it, it is something you must judge yourself

Harrald

Comment

Yep, ditched mine too. But yes, it did sound best with the Jackson pickups.

I went EMG 81 and PA-2 onboard preamp. Clean sounding and works nicely for my needs. I sorta miss having the JE sometimes though.

Comment

I didn't use it or care for it. When I upgraded to EMGs on my 650, I took it out and replaced the knob with an ON/OFF toggle.

Comment

Working...
                      X