Fixing Up a Model 3 - Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Up a Model 3 - Please Help

Seeking wisdom.... I bet I'm in the right place...

Well, I found a Model 3 at a garage sale this morning. I haven't ever been to a garage sale in my life. So, it must be fate. The finish is flawless. The neck is straight. The Licensed Floyd is kinda corroded and the pickups are GONE. Luckily this bad boy set me back a whole 10 bucks with OHSC.

I believe this is a 1988 model as it looks identical to the one I just bought from Roy B.

My questions: (I plan on having a luthier do this stuff)
    1. Will a new OFR fit without modification?
    2. Is it safe to replace the locking nut with a new one?
    3. I'm going to have a JB put in the bridge and would like to have classic stacks put in the mid and neck. I notice the newer guitars (think soloist) have pu holes routed that are slilghtly different (V shape at bottom) than the old guitars. Will the classic stacks fit in the old single coil holes?

Thanks!!!!!

Re: Fixing Up a Model 3 - Please Help

1) Yes
    2) yes, but I'd put the same type of JT-6/Kahler locking nut on it.
    3) Your luthier might be able to modify the pickups to fit in the holes.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

10 bucks!!!! Any photos?

Comment

It looks like the Classic Stack has the lip on it:

Travis has said that you can order lipless versions of their pickups, & that it takes 6 weeks or so for delivery. I haven't tried this, but I think it would be possible to carefully create an undercut to accommodate the lip without having to do a full route to the surface of the guitar. Using an inverted cone shaped bit or something similar, you could remove just enough wood from the inside of the cavity to allow the pickup to be rocked into place.

WRT the Floyd, it's almost always a simple swap, but occasionally the arm socket for the OFR will rub or won't quite fit the route for the JT-6. It is placed just slightly wider than the socket of the JT-6. If it rubs or won't let the trem seat, it requires just a slight widening of the route, like 1/16 - 1/8".

Comment

Goddamn! brilliant luck!

Ive been attending garage sales religiously for months, and the closest I got was 2 guitar stands for $10.

Got any pictures? We all know what they look like but pictures are fun anyways. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I did what DG suggested on a model 4 body. If you or your tech has a dremel tool witht he drum sander, you can sand out a little "nook" in the bottom of the pickup slot to accomodate the lip on the pickups you want. You just have to insert the pickup at a slight angle, and it makes finding the screw holes in the wood a little difficult. Once the pickups are installed, you can't even see the woodwork!

Comment

great buy!!!!

i have 2 of them and love em!

OFR swapped out without any mods. non lipped pups are always available via special order.

kahler makes a replacement nut that is a direct swap.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

you guys freakin' rule... thanks!

Comment

I routed my model 6 single hum routes to have the v shape so that they can take a pickup with a lip.

For me it's aesthetic as well...I simply like the look of the model 6 much better with that route work done. I'll try and post pics.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

wow, the closest i have ever come is an old Arbor Explorer for 25 bucks, and a Gibson V for $100 (just needs a paintjob) at any garage sale, not too many guitar stuff to be had at garage sales...

Comment

Okay guys.... I'm about to really show my ignorance...

The trem on this beast is a Licensed Floyd. Is that a JT-6? Regarding replacing the locking nut. It was suggested that Kahler made replacements... isn't Kahler out of business? Can anyone tell me where I might find a replacement and what the nut size is I'm looking for, for a model 3?

Thanks.... and I'm sorry for being so ignorant.

Comment

Its a JT-6 unless its been replaced.

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...fpart=1#314293

/\ check that to identify it.

Comment

I think Dave (Budman68) may have a JT-6 behind-the-nut lock, and they also pop up on eBay pretty often. Dave's site www.fretsonthenet.com lists lots of parts, or you can send him a PM.

Comment

thanks guys

Comment

You can pretty easily identify a JT-6 by the Jackson logo, the rough looking metal, and most distinctively, the fine tuners which are integrated with the string clamp screws.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Working...
                              X