Charvel unknown model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Charvel unknown model

The EX was the cheaper Ibanez model at that time (but I believe the EX350 was the top of the EX line). It was my first guitar and was the only one for many years, so I customized it without mattering the quality of the instrument and the amount of money invested. Anyway, it was a great instrument at that time to me... (I became a little sad after the trade, snif, snif...). It has a LO TRS II trem from factory and the custom EMG 89 (bridge) + SV (mid) + 85 (neck) combination makes it a very versatile guitar. Later I´ve discovered that I don´t like the active pickups very much, but that´s another story (even though my "hero" David Gilmour seems to use this kind of pups)....
    That was a "one for another" swap, no money involved. I saw the Charvel at my friend´s guitar store (no one wanted the guitar) and I remember me thinking "Yummy, what a great guitar, this must be USA made, I could trade it for my Ibanez if he wants". Nobody seemed to know that this guitar was a quality instrument and I liked it, so he accepted. It has some scratches on the body and a little blow on the headstock (a little portion of the wood is missing) but it still is a great guitar, much better than my old Ibanez.
    The lighter blocks are the exposed wood (natural, don´t know the guitar´s wood type; the original painting was black) and the darker blocks are a kind of tinting lacquer (mahogany color I think).
    The EMG were very expensive, maybe the 50% of the instrument price!!!! And the luthier had to carve a hole in the body to place the compartment of the battery. A hard work. Then a refreting work (Jim Dunlop´s Extra Jumbos) and voilá....

Thanks for the comments,
    Javier.

Comment

How much did the re-finish cost, it looks well done actually.

Comment

Can´t remember the number exactly, but I think that work could easily cost between 150 and 200 bucks. The painting was made around 1998 I think. But think that things cost almost twice here that in the USA. I´ve payed u$s580 for that guitar, that was in 1995 I think. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
        The job is very, very good, really. The pics ar not that good so you can´t appreciate the details. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Javier.

Comment

wow, you may be slow getting us pics, but when you finally come through.....!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Very nice, turco. Congrats. That's a great colour
          Hail yesterday

Comment

<font color="aqua">That is a spectacular looking Model 5a. Thanks so much for the pics, they are an excellent axe- [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I agree with you on the color taste, it´s excelent and I´m lucky in getting the guitar in a good shape too!!
              Yeah, I have to buy a digicam, very useful tool. But these "new stuff" just piss me off cos´ won´t last a single week without getting obsolete. Nothing is compatible with anything so you have to buy the memory card, the card reader, bla, bla, bla, Get outta here! Don´t get me wrong, I have a computer related job (electronic technician myself) and I like tech stuff so I´m not a stonehedge man, I just think that we are collecting 20 years old guitars (or even older ones) and I don´t believe that my hard disk will be a valuable item in 10 years or so (as my Model 5A is). I´m kinda renegade I think. Or just a person tired about all this continously updateable way of life that these "Microsoft-ised" corps impose to us.... [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]
              Just give me a guitar, a few pedals and a nice 1959SLP anyday baby..... [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks Budman, it just has a few marks on the body and that breakage on the headstock (that I had to carve carefully to even the surface). I believe I can´t get the correct color to paint that little gap, maybe I will keep that flaw as the guitar personal mark [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks again Budman, I have other pics to share but are not Charvel or Jackson guitars pics....

turco

Comment

holy crap, that's a sweet axe!!!!!!!! I want a model 5 or 5a now, and I'll trade my Soloist Pro for one!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    holy crap, that's a sweet axe!!!!!!!! I want a model 5 or 5a now, and I'll trade my Soloist Pro for one!

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven´t seen any other guitar like this over here but check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...02434&amp;rd=1

I´m not sure about this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...84505&amp;rd=1

Hope you find it!!!

turco

Comment

<font color="aqua">You're very welcome turco, thought I'd show you mine so, here's my 5a with an emg 81 and a real OFR that I did a graphic on:

</font>
                      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I'm ready for a Reese's cup and a game of checkers ! Anyone ?

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Come on man!! I can´t compete with that!! I can´t even look at her!! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                          Is there a white binding on the headstock?

Are you a pumpkin? In case you are, I assume you can´t play that baby, would you give it to me? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Now seriously, that´s a great job.
                          Congrats! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

turco

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I´m not sure about this:

Hope you find it!!!

turco

[/ QUOTE ]

that first one is AWESOME, but already out of my range, that middle on is a model 2, i think, and that last one has too much physically wrong with it to ask that kind of $$$, but if it went down to $250, I'd consider it...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I´m not sure about this:

Hope you find it!!!

turco

[/ QUOTE ]

that first one is AWESOME, but already out of my range, that middle on is a model 2, i think, and that last one has too much physically wrong with it to ask that kind of $$$, but if it went down to $250, I'd consider it...

[/ QUOTE ]
                              The third one, j.e.lee is a member here.
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                              X