A present for my Model 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A present for my Model 4

I'm thinking of feeding a nice original Floyd Rose to my Model 4. It now has the stock Jackson-licensed job on it, which I believe is a JT-6.

What can I expect will be different when I get it back from the tech shop?

Re: A present for my Model 4

The string spacing will be slightly wider. Floyd spacing is 2 1/8" overall vs. 2" for the JT-6. When I put the Floyd on my Model 6, it improved the sustain somewhat and made the guitar noticeably louder acoustically. I also noticed that the tone was a bit brighter. I think the reason for all of those changes was due to the fact that the Floyd is made with all hardened steel parts rather than softer die-cast metal. It stays in tune better, but I think the main reason for that is that the knife-edges were pretty worn on the JT-6.

I actually prefer the string spacing and the out-of-the-way fine tuner placement of the JT-6, but the Floyd is much better overall.

Comment

I'd say to expect a purdier geetar!

Every Model Series guitar I obtain, I always look to switch out the JT-6 for an OFR. For me, the tuners in back are just too difficult to get to.
      Occupy JCF

Comment

I want to do the same. I heard it won't be a problem so I'm not worried.

But out of curiosity: Why the is the sustain so bad on those model 4? Maybe I hit a bad one ( I seriously hope not [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ) but the sustain is just... wow... bad. Would new pickup and an OFR make this better?

Comment

Pott, have you put new strings on that guitar yet? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That will make a huge difference in sustain, and might clear up your tuning problems as well. I wouldn't say my guitar had bad sustain at all with the JT-6, it's just a bit better with the Floyd.

Comment

I can't speak for the OFR v JT6 debate, but I do have some experiance of using the wrong pickup. I had owned a model 4 (with a Kahler) for a few years and found a 5A (with a JT6) secondhand. When I got the 5A it had an EMG pickup, which I decided to replace with a Seymour Duncan SH-4, but the local shop told me I needed a 'Trembucker'. I duely fitted it, but I was always disappointed by the high end sustain, which was better on the model 4. I recently replaced the 5A pickup with an SD Custom Custom (standard spacing), and the difference is astounding. Yes the tone has changed, but it now sustains across the range.

Comment

Tomorrow I'll get it set up if I have the money *sadly looks at empty student pockets*
              Or else I'll buy the strings and replace them... *sigh* Which will be annoying because I hoped to clean or have the Floyd clean, if I replace the strings (first time) I won't do it by fear of accidents.

Comment

OFR's are tough pieces of equipment-don't worry about having "accidents" with them. As long as you don't crank down on the string locks like the incredible hulk and strip out the screws, there isn't too much damage you can do without actually trying to destroy it.

Comment

Working...
                X