Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The model series, all of them... Which are which?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The model series, all of them... Which are which?

1: ?
    2: model 4 with one hum, single volume pot
    3: superstrat, pickguard
    4: bolt on standard model, strat shape, 22 frets, individual pickup switches, midbooster, HSS... But then there were the A and M models?
    5: model neck thru model 2, soloist shape
    6: neck thru model 4, soloist shape
    7: Telecaster shape, reverse headstock (?)
    8: ?

And if there are any others... Also what are the differences between the model series and it's replacement, all those 450, 675 etc...?

Re: The model series, all of them... Which are which?

The Model 1 had a single humbucker and volume control and a traditional 3 spring tremelo.

There was also the 1A had 3 single coil pickups, one volume contraol, two tone control and the same 3 spring tremelo.

There was also a Model 3A which had a bolt on neck, locking tremelo and twin humbuckers.

The Model 5 actually had a twin humbucker configuration. There was Model 5A with the single humbucker. Both had the lcoking tremelo and a thru neck.

Comment

Just to add a little more info:

Models 2 - 6 had Kahler trem in first year of production ('86), then had the JT-6 trem for '87 & '88.

Bolt-ons (Models 1 - 4) were full-size strat bodies, while the neckthroughs (Models 5 & 6) had Dinky (7/8 size) bodies.

A few other models not mentioned yet (still probably forgetting something [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]):

Model 2: 1 hum, vol., & locking trem.

Model 3DR: reverse headstock, '88 only (I think), replaced later by the Predator.

Model 4M: maple fretboard, available in '88.

Model 5FX: Hum, slanted single, '88 only, replaced by 550XL. Trivia: These were actually 5A models that were routed for the neck single here in the states, at the famous Ft. Worth Custom Shop. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Model 6: neckthrough, HSS, sharkies & binding, replaced by 650XL.

Model 7: tele shape w/ reverse headstock, replaced by Legend.

Model 8: extremely rare, predecessor to the Spectrum.

Model 88: limited edition for '88, 1000 made, 1 slanted hum, African Mahogany body, trans finish, bolt-on with sharkies & reverse headstock.

The most important differences between the Model Series & the "Toothpaste Logo" models that followed: All toothpaste models were dinky shapes (except for the Legend, tele). They had a much better trem, the Schaller-made JT-590. Many more color options, including trans finishes over flamed maple, & matching headstocks on some models.

Comment

Has anyone ever seen any Model 5s with a maple board?

Comment

No such animal, but I wish there were!

Comment

Pott, here are some good links to catalog scans. They're not 100% complete, but will give you a good overview.

'89 Catalog, thanks to JACKSONWOLF

Sales Folders Page at jacksonmuseum.com, has catalog w/ Model Series & tons more.

Someone (axtogrind?) had a nice scan of the Model Series, but I can't seem to find that link.

Comment

Re: The model series, all of them... Which are whi

I don't think that J/C has ever had a production neckthru guitar with a maple board. Carvin seems to make a lot of them that way, though, at customers' request.

Comment

Re: The model series, all of them... Which are whi

Cheers for the catalogues! I couldn't find my 4 but it was helpful.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Just to add a little more info:

Models 2 - 6 had Kahler trem in first year of production ('86), then had the JT-6 trem for '87 & '88.

Bolt-ons (Models 1 - 4) were full-size strat bodies, while the neckthroughs (Models 5 & 6) had Dinky (7/8 size) bodies.

A few other models not mentioned yet (still probably forgetting something [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]):

Model 2: 1 hum, vol., & locking trem.

Model 3DR: reverse headstock, '88 only (I think), replaced later by the Predator.

Model 4M: maple fretboard, available in '88.

Model 5FX: Hum, slanted single, '88 only, replaced by 550XL. Trivia: These were actually 5A models that were routed for the neck single here in the states, at the famous Ft. Worth Custom Shop. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Model 6: neckthrough, HSS, sharkies & binding, replaced by 650XL.

Model 7: tele shape w/ reverse headstock, replaced by Legend.

Model 8: extremely rare, predecessor to the Spectrum.

Model 88: limited edition for '88, 1000 made, 1 slanted hum, African Mahogany body, trans finish, bolt-on with sharkies & reverse headstock.

The most important differences between the Model Series & the "Toothpaste Logo" models that followed: All toothpaste models were dinky shapes (except for the Legend, tele). They had a much better trem, the Schaller-made JT-590. Many more color options, including trans finishes over flamed maple, & matching headstocks on some models.

[/ QUOTE ]

**The model 3DR is a dinky body.
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

Don't forget the Model 1C. 1988 only. Standard trem with HSS layout.
                    Pott what in particular do you want to know about your Model 4?

Comment

I think pott's has sharkies & JT-6, & the catalog at jacksonmuseum is from '86, so the Model 4 has dots & Kahler.

I found Keith's scan of a later Model Series catalog. This one has your Model 4, pott: *link*

Comment

Thanks! 800 bucks, that means 800 pounds here in the UK, got mine for 250 :P Definitely a keeper.

Comment

Working...
                        X