Model 3a questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 3a questions

I will be acquiring a charvel model 3a body in a few days. Its a swimming pool rout and it took some kind of kahler 2 post trem. 1st, will a 90's jackson 22 fret pointy neck fit this neck pocket? 2nd, will a standard strat pickguard fit properly or do I need to find the exact one for this body. 3rd, whats the deal with this trem? Its some kind of kahler 2 post deal. Seems like an oddball part. I have a chance to bid on it. Should I bother or is there another cheaper trem that will drop right in. Well thats it for now. Oh, it seems kinda funny that the neckplate off this guitar will probably sell for more than the body did. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Model 3a questions

I have a 1986 Model 3A. The trem is the Kahler Fulcrum. Opinions vary I like the trem. It is the only trem that will fit that body without modification.
    The pickguard for these use 8 screws. A stock pickguard shouldn't be hard to find for one of these. In fact someone on here recently was selling one still loaded with the pickups and all.
    A standard J/C 22 fret neck should fit it just fine.

Comment

This is supposedly an 86 too. Good to hear that my neck will fit. I hope this is not a popular trem. That will keep the bidding low, I hope. I think the stock pickguards are always black, at least all the ones I see are. Not my thing for a black guitar so I was hoping it was basically a strat guard. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

While it is not a very popular trem it is somewhat rare and pats are hard to find for these. So the bidding may go either way.
        My pickguard is a tricolor black/white/black.
        Here is a pic of it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          A stock pickguard shouldn't be hard to find for one of these. In fact someone on here recently was selling one still loaded with the pickups and all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hippie Tim had one for sale here and on the Bay but I think he sold it already. I have a set og J-80's wired up to the pots and everything that I pulled out of my 3A. PM if you think you are going to need them once you get a pickgaurd.
          Here's mine.

Here's the link to a pic of the pickups.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8.../Guitar006.jpg

Comment

Yeah, I remember seeing that for sale a few weeks ago. Thanks for the offer on the pickups. Im not sure what I'll be using, as I have a bunch of stuff lying around. I think my biggest concern will be the bridge situation. Do you think a wilkinson will drop in there? I think the auction for the original kahler will get out of hand. Its already $51 with 6 days left. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Is there such a thing as a model 3a that has no pickguard and a floyd?

Comment

Yes. After 1986 they dropped the Kahler and pickguard and utilized the JT-6.
                Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Yes. After 1986 they dropped the Kahler and pickguard and utilized the JT-6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent, I just picked up one of those bodies too. I thought it was strange that it was a h-h no guard setup with floyd trem spacing that had 3a stamped in the neck pocket. Now I can use my charvel floyd trem and dont have to worry about the whole pickguard thing. Is a jackson pointy head the same shape as a charvel? Looks the same to me. Im thinking of refinishing the headstock on my jackson neck to look somewhat stock with that body. What year did they discontinue the 3a?

Comment

The Model series were from 1986-1988. When it comes to adding a neck to that guitar there are mor important things to worry about.

1) Make sure you have a 22 fret neck.
                    2) Make sure the neck pocket and the heel of the neck are the exact same width.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      The Model series were from 1986-1988. When it comes to adding a neck to that guitar there are mor important things to worry about.

1) Make sure you have a 22 fret neck.
                      2) Make sure the neck pocket and the heel of the neck are the exact same width.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully, Ive got that covered. I'll just have to wait and see once the body arrives. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

There IS another trem that fits the model 3's that's much better than the stock Kahler. You can upgrade to a Kahler 2700 series. These trems are more Floyd-like and fit the stock trem fulcrum bolts while using the stock spacing. There is no need to modify the route either...just drop it in and set it up. These trems can be found for around $60 on ebay. I just picked up a NOS 2700 at a guitar show for $25. I've done this mod to both of my model 3's and the results are fantastic. They never go out of tune nor need adjustment. Great mod, highly advised! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          While it is not a very popular trem it is somewhat rare and pats are hard to find for these. So the bidding may go either way.
                          My pickguard is a tricolor black/white/black.
                          Here is a pic of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice stickers, I lived in Almaden Valley for 23 years before moveing to Cape cod..... [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            There IS another trem that fits the model 3's that's much better than the stock Kahler. You can upgrade to a Kahler 2700 series. These trems are more Floyd-like and fit the stock trem fulcrum bolts while using the stock spacing. There is no need to modify the route either...just drop it in and set it up. These trems can be found for around $60 on ebay. I just picked up a NOS 2700 at a guitar show for $25. I've done this mod to both of my model 3's and the results are fantastic. They never go out of tune nor need adjustment. Great mod, highly advised! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true? That Kahler 2700... is it the Kahler Killer?

Comment

Yes, this is true. The killer is a drop in replacement for the fulcrum. Whats with all the thread resurection lately? Did the search function get fixed or something?

Comment

Working...
                              X