Model 4 electronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 4 electronics

Have a model 4 which the electronics got pulled out of at some point. I recently put them back in and rewired everything. Only problem is the huMbucker pickup is missing, somehow it vanished.

The 2 single pickups are wired up and they work fine, boost circuit seems to work fine as well.

Does anyone know what I can use to replace it with that will work with the boost and have same sound?

I have found a couple of pickups on ebay from a model 3a J-80c but I am unsure if that model had the boost, or if those pickups will work in my model 4 with the boost circuit?

Any help appreciated.

Dbow

Re: Model 4 electronics

Model 4 had the 50BC I believe. That boost is pretty hot. You might want to consider a passive SD. What you choose depends on what you are partial to and what you want to achieve.
    Actually, I'll be in the same boat as my 4M needs a new bridge pup. I have not yet decided how I'll wire it yet tho. I'm going to try a SD TB12-Screamin demon or a PAF+ which are med output. Maybe even a Schaller Golden.
    I have a bunch laying about to go thru trial and error but I overall do not want the boost to overkill with a higher output pup, but the pup should stand on it's own without the boost as well.

Most Jackson pickups seem to be voiced with less highs than aftermarket and they are usually fine for most stuff. The covers seem to make a difference in tonality and some guys take them off, or even flip the entire pup around.

IMO, I think Jackson made pups that were pretty middle of the road on tonal balance and I really do not like the J200's for a single choice but that is my personal preference, yours may differ.

Comment

<font color="aqua">Yes, the J80c's will work fine as those were used in the Model 5 in the neck and bridge position and they actually sound decent. The Model 5 also had the same preamp as the model 4 so you'd be good to go if you can get them cheap enough. </font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I thought the Model 4 had a J-50B, without the ceramic magnet that the 50BC had. Either way, I'd go with a "hollow" and "vintage" sounding pickup like a Duncan 59, Screamin' Demon or Dimarzio PAF, as the mid-boost will add in the middle thump.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

They probably put the 50B in them as well but mine had the 50BC when I took it out. I'm of the inclination to think it was stock tho given the condition of the entire guitar, I'm not 100% certain.

Comment

I checked the catalog on Jackson Museum, looks like they had the 50BC (at least in 86, anyway). My 86 Model 4 only has a "Model 4" sticker on the humbucker.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Thanks for all the information. I did not know I could put any pickup in there such as the Dimarzio PAF. I thought it had to be a pickup designed for the boost circuit.

I really enjoyed the sound of this guitar back in the day, the boost is what really got me going when I played.

Now knowing that I can use other pickups I will have to figure out what to try.

I really liked the ease of artificial harmonics and squeals with the original bridge humbucker. Guess I will have to try a few out.

thanks

Dbow

Comment

I think the 50BC runs about 9.5k.

Comment

Thought I would let you guys know that I grabbed a PUP today. Ended up with a Seymour Duncan SH-12 (screamin Demon). I installed it and sounds good so far, I have not had a chance to really crank it up yet because it was too late by the time I got it installed.

I was a little unsure about the $89.99 price which seemed like a lot for a PUP. They did have a Seymour Detonator which is supposed to be made based on the SH-8.
                  It was on sale for a lot cheaper.
                  If anyone has experience with comparison between the SH-12 and the Detonator please let me know.

Thanks

Dbow

Comment

They (SD) are expensive new unless you get them from eBay or here in the classifieds. Even on eBay, Duncans have creeped up in price over the last couple years where guys are listing them for 89.99. Overall, the price on the Demon seem to have increased. When they first came out, people kinda rejected them so they were plenty available for cheap. I think I paid 30-40 lightly used for mine so I have a couple laying about for specialty projects.
                    I rarely pay more than 70.00 for a new pup unless it is a specialty wind like the EVH.

There was a member here who recently sold his on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WD1V

It doesn't hurt to shop around.
                    Sorry, I know nothing about the Detonator other than they are foreign made SD designed pups modeled after the Invader. Buying used is not for everyone it seems, but you usually save a few bucks in doing so. If you get a hundred posts, you can participate in the great deals that roll thru in the JCF classifieds. I'm not trying to make ya feel bad...just trying to help ya in a future instance.

So, how do you like the Demon?

Comment

I had a chance last night to crank it up with the new pickup. I was impressed with the ability on leads and such but was a little unhappy with the sound on rhythm.
                      Heavy rhythms seem to get muddy and loose clarity.

Keep in mind that my electronics are still in the state of repair. All my pots make scratching noises when turned and cut out if they are not all the way in the on position. I am going to replace them and rewire but have not have the chance.

I may end up trying some other pickups.

Dbow

Comment

Tuner cleaner (not contact) for the pots. Keeps the pots lubricant intact while cleaning up the pathway.

Comment

Working...
                        X