Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How thick are the fretmarers on maple boarded 375?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How thick are the fretmarers on maple boarded 375?

I´m thinking about removing the finish and tung oil the neck of my charevel.
    The only thing that holds me back is that i have a weak memory of somebody one the forum
    accidentley removing the side dots on a maple boarded import...
    Is there any risk it might happen?

Re: How thick are the fretmarers on maple boarded

That sucker is gonna play sweet once you're done. It shouldn't be a problem with the dots if you're careful. To remove the side dots you'd have to sand way more than is needed.

Comment

Ok thanks!
      For the fretboard, would it be better to just use some steel wool?

Comment

I think it was me tellin about my friend who partially removed the side dots off a maple boarded Charvel import neck. He didn't tape off that part of the fretboard when he sanded off the finish. I think those dots (black in color) were painted on...I was plannin on heading to his place tonite for some beers and a jam, so I can check the neck again to make sure if it was paint or really thin markers.

I've sanded a bunch of necks that had a rosewood board and I always taped off the sides of the rosewood board along with the top of it and it's never given me a problem in terms of feel...so I were you, I'd just tape off the side of the maple fretboard and start sanding away. Sometimes, I needed to reapply more masking tape to the sides of the board as the sandpaper/steel wool will chew thru the masking tape. after a
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Good idea, i taped the fretboard on my rhoads, and the finsih there never bothered me....

Comment

Working...
          X