No announcement yet.

I am digging my Predator big time.!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am digging my Predator big time.!!!!

I must say, now that I got the wiring right on my Predator, I am digging it big time!

I originally bought this because I wanted a guitar that I could take on the road and not worry about, since I work out of town and like to play in the hotel at night. I figured when I was at home, I would play my Roadhouse 'Strat...however, it has been gathering dust since I got the Predator. This was an E-bay score from about a month ago. It was incorrectly labeled as a Fusion and had a custom paint job. The paint is a competition orange that was "smoked" to give it almost a marbled texture. The paint work is damn good, although I am not sure how I feel about it. It certainly does date the guitar (as if the pointy reverse headstock, cut down body and Floyd doesn't!) but it is unique.

When I originally got the guitar I thought the bridge pickup was too bright and weak...so I went out and put in a ToneZone. Then I noticed that the wiring was all screwed up and the rear pickup was only available in conjunction with the neck, which was making it sound weak and thin. Either way, I think the ToneZone works nicely with the guitar.

This guitar really sounds and plays great. I find the neck, which is thin with a wide fingerboard, to be really playable. The setup is nice and allows perfect bends at all points without choke. Tone wise, the guitar screams. I find that I can do many things with this guitar...not just all out distortion ripping. It works nicely for a lightly distorted blues tone and has a very snappy clean tone on the neck. It isn't as "bluesy" as a 'Strat, but it does blues pretty damn well...despite what naysayers would claim. I have owned everything from a real '63 strat to custom shop Ibanez guitars to Les Paul Customs and this little guitar really holds its own. It is also nice and light....

I really think these guitars are way underrated in today's market. I think the Japanese really had their acts together when these guitars were being built. I would not mind adding a second Charvel to the lineup, but I would like one with a Gibson scale length and a humbucker in both positions.

Well, just wanted to brag a little about my $175 Charvel score! Best damn guitar I have ever bought for that money. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Maybe when I get back into town I can post pics of the beast.

Rock on.

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Re: I am digging my Predator big time.!!!!

Good to hear. It's amazing how cheap you can get some of those older Charvel imports. I really think that they are one of the best kept secrets in all of guitardom.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Good to hear. It's amazing how cheap you can get some of those older Charvel imports. I really think that they are one of the best kept secrets in all of guitardom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I feel a need for a pawn shop crawl coming. I wonder what I could find!

Mike

Comment

I'm still wanting to find a sweet Model 2 or 3A for under $200, preferrably white.

Comment

My favorite Charvel for along time now is my 275DLX. It is basically a Predator with the following differences:
          Non reversed headstock
          Bridge pickup is slanted and the neck single is straight. Predators are opposite.
          They are great players and you can get them pretty cheap too!

Comment

I've got two 3DRs (the predecessor to the Predator) and they're awesome. I'd love to get my hands on a white Predator and a Legend neck so I can make my ultimate dream guitar. Criss Oliva's "Streets" guitar.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I've got two 3DRs (the predecessor to the Predator) and they're awesome. I'd love to get my hands on a white Predator and a Legend neck so I can make my ultimate dream guitar. Criss Oliva's "Streets" guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would easily add another one to my collection. I can feel a real case of the collector's itch coming on. While I would kill for a San Dimas, these imports are actually affordable...and you could build a nice collection on a budget.

Mike

Comment

I recently bought a Charvel, and have narrowed it down to either a Predator or a 3DR. Here are some specs on it. Hopefully someone will be able to help me identify it. And yes, this guitar screams \m/

It's got 22 frets, what I'm told is "orange crackle" paintjob, Jackson pickups, Schaller trem (floyd rose licensed), 1 volume knob, and what appears to be an aftermarket 3-way switch (which is also wired backwards, so what would be the bridge position enables the neck pickup and vice versa). The serial number, if it helps, is 348038.
                Scott

Comment

What are the predators and the model 3DRs like...?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I recently bought a Charvel, and have narrowed it down to either a Predator or a 3DR. Here are some specs on it. Hopefully someone will be able to help me identify it. And yes, this guitar screams \m/

It's got 22 frets, what I'm told is "orange crackle" paintjob, Jackson pickups, Schaller trem (floyd rose licensed), 1 volume knob, and what appears to be an aftermarket 3-way switch (which is also wired backwards, so what would be the bridge position enables the neck pickup and vice versa). The serial number, if it helps, is 348038.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it have a Toothpaste logo or the Charvel guitar logo on the headstock? Toothpaste=Predator.

Mike

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"warm apple pie"
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"warm apple pie"

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Mike

Comment

So are the 275dlx's...

Comment

I guess you'd call it the toothpaste logo a.k.a. the Jackson font. So I guess it's a predator. IS there any way to decipher the year from the serial number?
                            Scott

Comment

Working...
                            X