Charvel 550XL (big pic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel 550XL (big pic)

I picked this one up in a pawn shop a few weeks back. I've been too slack to break out the digital camera to take a few shots, but after much harassment from Vic, I fired her up this afternoon. Here she is:

At first, I thought it was a Fusion Deluxe :- 24 frets, slant neck p/u, Vol., 3-way. Thought it was nice to see one in the local pawnbroker's, some kid'll get a good guitar there, but didn't really interest me since I already have a couple of Fusions. Of course, I still had to pick it up for a better look. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

My first thought was how odd that someone had painted the neck to match the body finish (a little slow on the uptake, me). Then I noticed it was neckthru (d'oh!!). And then the price tag. And then the pissed off look on the wife's face when she saw the look on mine. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I love these pawn shop finds. Worked the price down a little, and got it for about half the price of a beat up Korean Ibanez Destroyer they had there [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Lovely guitar. Sounds good, plays well. I still need to give it a complete breakdown and cleanup, the truss rod needs a little adjustment too. But I gave her a cursory cleaning when I first got her home and she's doing fine now.
    Hail yesterday

Re: Charvel 550XL (big pic)

That is very nice! Love that scalloped lower horn.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

<font color="aqua">That is a great color "G"! Congrats on a beauty- [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I like my 550XL much better then my 5FX ,both pawn shop finds. The schaller bridge is far better the jackson bridge on the 5FX.

Comment

Beautiful guitar. Humbucker in the bridge and single in the neck is my perfect pickup combination, I'll see if there are loads of these on the market [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Those are great guitars, man. I might have to try and see if I can find one for myself.

Comment

Nice,G! I have been looking for one of these myself,no luck yet. I like a single/hum set up. I love to take my wife to the pawn shop.She cringes every time she sees me take a guitar off the rack and walk to the counter! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].........
              Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

How much is the price of a beat up Korean Ibanez Destroyer? $200?

Comment

The Destroyer in question had a sticker price of about AU$650, IIRC. That would convert to around US$520

The 550XL had a number of price tags on it when I got it home, the highest being about AU$650, and then $499, and finally AU$350. I guess it had been hanging there for a while.

I offered them $250, and they met me half way at AU$300, or about US$240. Not bad for a decent neckthru, considering how much I've seen Model 6s go for over here.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Dude, if you got that 550xl for $240 US then you got a killer deal. I need to start searching pawn shops on a regular basis.

Comment

Well done Gary, you got the girl, the guitar and finally a pic!!! She is a beauty, you scored very well....though I'm sure you're itcing to go back and get that Destroyer!!

Comment

Damm $300aus is great for a 550xl, love that color too. I'm after a neck-thru as well...........maybe I'll find a 750xl in a pawn shop for $300 but i think i'm dreaming.....

Comment

Great score at a great price! Enjoy.

Comment

wow, very nice aquisation [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

UNHOLY AQUISITION

Comment

Working...
                              X