Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Date of manufacture/serial # Charvel Model 4 & 6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date of manufacture/serial # Charvel Model 4 & 6?

Hey guys,

I'm new to the JCF, and am really trying to date all my Charvel Model 4's and 6's...and need some help! My understanding so far with the model 6's is that the 1st letter denotes the date (i.e. 7=1987, 8= 1988, etc.)..but what about the month? What about a few I have that have a LETTER first, i.e C81199... ? Also, what about my model 6's that DON'T have the serial number stamped on the last fret...where is it?

RE: Model 4's I have no clue, the serials start with 23334...and 3225...etc....how can I tell the date/year on these? Were the Model series only made in the 80's or did it go into the 90's also? Thanks for any and all help!

Re: Date of manufacture/serial # Charvel Model 4 & 6?

When dating a Model 6, one can always start with the trem for the early years. If it is a Kahler, then it's a 1986 model. All years after that had the JT-6 fitted as a trem.

Just a start!

Comment

The same can be said for your model 4. If it has a Kahler trem its an 86. If it has the JT-6 it's either an 87 or 88 model.

I have a crude way of dating the bolt on Model series guitars with the guitar shaped logo.

1986 Kahler trem, no neck plate gasket, "TM" beside the Charvel logo on both the headstock and the neck plate.

1987 Jt-6 trem, it has a neck plate gasket. "TM" on the neck plate. "R" on the headstock.

1988 JT-6 trem, has a neck plate gasket, "R" on both the headstock and neck plate.

Hope this helps.

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...;page=0#445217
        Occupy JCF

Comment

Well it did help me thanks! I found out that mine is an 88.
          Any difference in quality from year to years?

Comment

Hi Guys,

thanks for all the great info, that helps tremendously! (sorry for the multiple posts..oops!) However, found a few interesting things...I DO have an 87 Model 6 with a Kahler, so that negates the "everything after 86 has the JT-6" theory (does ANYBODY like that JT-6???). Also, the ones I THOUGHT didn't have serial numbers I just did a quick glance and didn't find them on the last fret, but they WERE on the sticker on the back of the headstock...oops! Besides that, most seem right on, the '86's have the Kahler's all right...and I have an '86 model 5 with a Kahler also....I'll check all my others to see if I find anything different and let you know if I do! The model 4's I'll have to take your word on and check out that "system", since the serial #'s don't seem to tell us crap! Have some swith Kahlers, some with JT-6's....maybe we have to take the neck off to find a date?

Comment

<1986 Kahler trem, no neck plate gasket, "TM" beside the Charvel logo on both the headstock and the neck plate.>

OK, regarding the "system", I have already found one with a Kahler AND with the neck plate gasket, TM on both the neck plate AND on the headstock next to the name (assuming it's an '86 but not exact fit with the system)...the OTHER one also has a Kahler, but NO neck plate gasket, and does have the TM on the neck plate and on the headstock next to the logo (also an '86?, consistent with the system). Are they just TRYING to confuse us?

BTW, ALL my Charvels have the smaller guitar shaped "Charvel by Jackson/Charvel" logo (most being 86's and 87's, and NONE have the big toothpaste logo..I thought that was started in the 90's anyway?).

Comment

True, the Model Series all have the guitar-shaped logo. The script logo started when they converted the numbers and the Model 6 became the 650XL, with a 5-way to replace the individual on-off switches. The Model 5 became the 550XL, and so on.

Your '87 Kahlered Model 6 is a rarity, but there are exceptions to the rules with many of these guitars. I like my Kahlered '86 Model 6 bette than I would a non-recessed JT-6 equipped version anyway, but then I like Kahlers, and also like getting the guitar cheaper for it not having a Floyd-style trem.
                Sucks when you sell though, but such is life.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

They also called them the Contemporary series instead of the Model series when they switched.............

Comment

Working...
                  X