Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another "Hi, I just got my first Charvel" thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "Hi, I just got my first Charvel" thread!

Hi guys. I've been lurking for a few days. I recently bought this Model 4 on eBay for £215 inc. postage (approx $390). Things are more expensive over here! But it's still a good price imo, especially as it's in great condition. This is actually my first 'proper' guitar but it was practically the same price as my beginner guitar (Squier Standard Strat) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

The serial number is 283104. Do any of you know the year it was made? I couldn't find any info on Charvel serial numbers.

Cheers [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] (love that smilie!)

Re: Another \"Hi, I just got my first Charvel\" thread!

Nice score! It's either a 1987 or 1988. I have a cobalt blue 1988 myself that I bought for 250 pounds, it's my first and only guitar and it's the best I could ever have hoped for. Congrats!

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the reply.

How do you know what year yours (and mine!) was made?

Comment

The features. The Model 4 was made between 1986 and 1988. In 1986 the Model 4 had dot inlays and a Kahler flatmount tremolo. Since then they were made like this one, with sharkfin inlays and a JT-6 tremolo.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

Re: Another \"Hi, I just got my first Charvel\" thre

nice score, Stelios. Dontcha just love the way the colour ages on those? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Excellent. Thanks a lot.

I didn't realise they were only made for a couple of years.

Much appreciated.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              nice score, Stelios. Dontcha just love the way the colour ages on those? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I've got to be honest. The guitar is not as white as the picture makes it out to be be! It's more 'yellowy' (almost lime!) than I expected it to be!

Having said that, I still really like it. It just screams "1980s"!!! You can almost smell the hairspray. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

yea, my Model 2 is the same. It's more of a creme colour. The old metallic white finish develops a lovely patina as it ages.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Awesome guitar. Actually that price isn't that far out of line for that color in great condition. That's a very desireable model.

I believe it's a Model 4A. The 4As had the shark fin inlays while the regular Model 4s had regular dots.

Comment

The Model 4 with dots were not seen after 1986 (except on the 4M), so I believe, Model 4 and Model 4A are interchangable.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

The above catalog shot is from '88. The page before it has the Model 4 with dots. I have seen a few and it always throws me because I associate dots on a Model 4 with a Kahler.

Comment

Nice score, man. Welcome to the club.

Comment

Great score, it looks great. Welcome to the JCF!

Comment

Then I stand corrected, I'll get the Model 4A added as soon as possible. Is the inlays the only difference?
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

Is it me or they used lighter rosewood for the lighter colors? Mine is dark metallic blue (cobalt blue I think it's called)and the fingerboard is like ebony (seriously... it's black. The only giveaway is some very tiny stripes of chocolate color). It's BAD for me now because all the time i see a 'normal' rosewood fingerboard I'm not used to it and I think it's weird.

Comment

Working...
                              X