What pickups for 750XL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickups for 750XL?

Hi, I am not too satisfied with the stock pickups so I will definitely change them out for something else...

For neck, I would like something very warm and sweet on the single notes, but still has a crunchy edge for chords.

For bridge, I like something with a lot of crunch, good harmonics, that has good high-midrage and treble but doesn't sound shrill.

I play mostly 80's hard rock and neoclassical metal, so I want a good sweet neck tone for the sweep arppegios, and an aggressive, yet open sounding bridge pickup for those big sounding chords.

What should I get? Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- Leo.

Re: What pickups for 750XL?

For the bridge--Duncan Distortion

For the neck--Duncan 59 or Jazz.

Comment

The Distortion is the way to go for the bridge. I've got that in both of my 750xls. As far as the neck, the 59 is warmer than the Jazz, but can be a bit boomy. I've got a Jazz in one of mine and it is remarkably articulate, very glassy and cleans up brilliantly. If you want something warm and sweet, I might recommend the Duncan APH (think Slash from GnR).

Comment

All right, since we seems to have a consensus on the Duncan Distortion.... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Travis: for the Jazz... when you say glassy, what do you mean? Does it sound "cold"?

Hmm... the Alnico II Pro... Sounds good, since I already have a 59 in another mahogany guitar, maybe I'll try the APH in the 750XL.

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

The Jazz is a VERY clear pickup. I wouldn't say it is "cold" but I don't find it very warm either. When I say glassy, I liken it to a single coil in terms of clearness and clarity.

Comment

Travis: thanks for the clarification, I think I'll go for something more akin to the 59... or I may install one of the DiMarzio Air series humbuckers in there. I have tried the DiMarzio Air Classic with very good results (warm, sweet, but very well defined, good note separation)

Forgot to ask... I read on these forums that the 650XL and 750XL have oversized pickup covers... so would I need to get one of those replacement mounting rings from Budman? Or can I just put the covers over the pickups of my choice?

Comment

If you re-use the pick up covers, then they'll fill the gap of the stock pick up rings. But if you use the stock rings with Seymour Duncans, there will be decent size gap between the ring and the humbucker especially on the neck pup. They'll work, but it just doesn't look right.
              Dave's rings have the same outside dimensions, but the inside are a little wider to fill the gap. They look very clean, and thre is no comparison between Dave's stuff and Allparts, StewMac, etc., Dave kick's arse.
              PM your email addy and I'll send a pic of a Duncan '59 sitting in the stock ring.
              Is this the magenta 750XL? [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a Pearly Gates in the bridge of mine along with a DiMarzio PAF in the neck. It's a great combo. I actually prefer the sound of the DiMarzio... I may swap them around.

Comment

Junior: yup, I have a magenta 750XL... love the color [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I was gonna buy a magenta 650XL I saw in a local store, but missed my chance... so I went on eBay to see if I can find another magenta 650XL... but I found a magenta 750XL for cheaper than what the store was selling the 650XL for [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X