Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predator?

http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/h/wham55/predator.html

Just picked this up at local pawn/music store. SN 36xxxx.
    After going through this forum for a while, I'm 99% sure it's a '90-'91ish Predator. It is a SWEEEEET player and sounds great! Me likee! Any info on which PUs and trem it has? Question #2 - This is my first Floyd type guitar and in looking up info on the web, I've seen a couple recommendations AGAINST E. Ball strings. Would y'all concur? What strings would you suggest? I like <font color="pink"> pink </font>Slinkys. Thanks for all the GREAT info on this forum. Oh, BTW it was $99 out the door with 2 packs of strings.

Re: Predator?

<font color="aqua">Welcome to the forum, unfortunately your pics on your site aren't working [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Hmm...your webpage doesn't work for me.

I can't see what would be so awful about Ernie Ball strings? I switch between GHS, D'Addario and EBall, and I've had no problems with any of them.

As for the trems on 89-91 era guitars, it should be a JT590 Jackson badged version of Shaller's Floyd. Great trems.

Comment

I find Diaddario's to have slightly more tension and they seem to be floyd friendly.Although string choice seems to be a personal prefrence.Diaddarios 9/42 are the factory string of choice for new Jackson/Charvel guitars.

Comment

Sorry about the pics guys. Should be working now. Camera flash makes the guitar look much more vivid red than it is. It's really a lot more wine-y. Did I mention this guitar is FUN to play?!

Comment

Cool. Welcome to the board. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Was that trem replaced? That's clearly a JT580LP.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I will be buried with my Predator...that is how good that guitar is.

I just took the Tone Zone out of mine and put in the Blues Saraceno Trembucker and it is even better than it was!!!!

How could this guitar get any better?? Well, it could learn how to blow me...and that is about it!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike
              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Yes, it is a predator, but as it has already been pointed out, that's not the original tremolo.
                Occupy JCF

Comment

Tremolo works great. I can really abuse it and it pops back in tune. What was the original trem on a Predator? Can they be gotten? Do I need one?

Comment

That guitar came originally with either the JT-590 or a JT-6. I'm no expert on Charvels, so I'm not 100% sure.

The trem you have on there now is a JT580LP, a low quality trem that come on all of Jacksons more recent imports. It is made of rather poor metal and will wear out sooner or later if you're a heavy trem user. As you can guess, I'm not a fan of that trem. I say keep abusing it, and replace it with something better once it starts crapping out on you.

Comment

Predators came with JT-590 (Schaller). But I think there was an older Predator that looks more like the DR3 that was from the older Charvel guitar logo era, which may have had the JT-6.

Comment

That would be the Model 3DR.
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

Thanks Tekky. Sometimes I get a bit dyslexic. Ironically I actually own a 3DR. I also have a DR6 so I kind of mix them up a bit due to the similar names.

Comment

dude, that was a STEAL!! those are GREAT guitars!

Comment

Nothing wrong with Ernie Ball strings. I use them on everything, and I have for quite awhile. Top players use them, along with everything else. I tend to buy what GC has on sale - often Dean Markeley's, D'Addario's, and EB's.

Comment

Working...
                              X