Model 6 comes home! (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 comes home! (pics)

Got her this morning. A pearl white 1987 Model 6, with flight case and an OFR.

I thought it would be quite banged up, but it was very well taken care of. You can tell that it's been played a lot though; The back in particular is worn matte - looks a bit like a relic finish. =)

The seller was very pleasant to deal with, and he liked to talk in detail about the guitar. The only thing he failed to mention was that he was a chain smoker. The guitar told me that. [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

Here's the whole kit:

The guitar has yellowed a lot. The image below is the one that best represents its actual color. And look at the fretboard! This is the darkest piece of rosewood I've ever seen on a guitar! It really is ebony dark. You need to look up close to determine that it's not ebony.

Look at the trem bar; I think the previous owner has modified it for comfort. I actually liked the feel of it a lot.

You may have noticed that there's something up with the Floyd posts. Yup, this is the oddest piece of conversion work I've seen. A close-up:

The JT-6 post holes have been filled with epoxy (or maybe some sort of bondo?), and then the guitar has been drilled for old Floyd wood screws. This isn't entirely to my liking, but I figure I'll just keep using it like this until I see the need to put bushings in there and redo it the "proper" way. Here are a few closeups of the Floyd nut conversion:

This is my first guitar that has binding over the frets:

I like it! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

The neck is absolutely perfect. It just fits my hand like it was made for me. The profile is very similar to my bolt-on Rhoads, so I felt right at home with it.

The pickups and electronics are all original. The jury is still out on the humbucker, but I already hate the singles and the mid boost. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Now, who has a set of EMGs to sell me? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Re: Model 6 comes home! (pics)

That is a lovely guitar.........

Comment

Looks incredible!
      Great pics also.
      May i ask how much you paid?

Comment

Thanks guys! =)
        I paid 5200 SEK for it, shipping excluded. Model 6s typically go for around 4000 in SWE, so I figured that this one with an OFR and flight case was worth the extra dough.

Comment

Lol i didnt see that you also live in sweden [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          I think i saw that one at www.blocket.se when i think about it.
          5200 sounds like a fair price with the ofr.

Comment

Congrats, model 6's are great guitars! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Very nice, love the color. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Sweet! I love the natural aged creme look those get. I dunno why whoever put the floyd on ut didn't just the existing JT-6 studs [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also the binding isn't over the frets on those.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Also the binding isn't over the frets on those.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Ah, I'm probably using the wrong terminology. I've had one guitar with binding before (cheap LPC copy), and it had fret slots in the binding (like you'd see in the fretboard on non-bound necks). So I presumed this was "over the frets". =P Sorry 'bout that.

But yeah, one thing I really like is the aged color. When I purchased it I had a graphic refin in mind, but now I want to keep it as is. =)

Comment

yeah...I'd keep it as is. I repainted my model 3 that I bought brand new in 86 or 87, it was snow white when I bought it. Turned into the nice aged creme color but I refin'd it seafoam green
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

<font color="aqua">Very nice bane, she's a beauty..gotta love aged white.. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
                      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Beautiful, I had one just like it for a very short period of time (bills to pay)

that was one I really wish I had been able to keep.
                        hold on to this one, they are great guitars!
                        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

arghhh.. I just saw the model 5 in another thread, and now this one.. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] .. I think my model 2 needs companion soon [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

That is a beautiful guitar, congratulations [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I love the way that color mellows with age [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Thank you all! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                              I haven't been able to put this down tonight. She just begs to be played! The Floyd is working flawlessly too. Such fun! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But I'm definitely replacing the pickups. I have to try and find another EMG-58...I think it would be just right in this guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X