Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This summer's project: I need ideas...(pics of 1a?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This summer's project: I need ideas...(pics of 1a?

In 6 days I shall be getting this model 1a:

So far I have in plan to replace the bridge pickup with the Jackson J50BC in my model 4 (which will be replaced by a Full Shred very soon) and maybe swap the 1a's neck pickup for the 4's (to have a thicker sounding pickup on the neck of the 1a and a true single coil in the 4).
    If you guys have any ideas of other mods... My main concern is the pickguard. I'm probably going for a black pearl one but I don't have many ideas about it. Here are some mockups i did when I was bored.

That's one with the black pickguard (hard to model black pearl on kisekae)
    And another fun try i did:

If any of you has any ideas, I'm willing to hear.
    Also if you have pics of model 1as with different colors of knobs or paintjobs or pickguards, I'd definitely be interested in having a look (I already checked the gallery)
    Thanks for any help!
    I'd probably place a coolrails in the neck position, hence the rails in the kisekaes. It's planned for when I get more money, i.e not so soon. All I'll do this summer will be the pickguard and humbucker I think.

Re: This summer\'s project: I need ideas...(pics of 1a?

I wouldn't use the Union Jack. It looks okay on white guitars, but that looks way too busy. Black pearl might look cool, or even white pearl. Are you gonna put a Floyd on that puppy?
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Nah too much work for a model 1 I think. I'll keep that trem on and use it as a hardtail most likely. I'll keep the model 4 tuned to dropped C and use the 1a for every other tunings.

Comment

Just a heads up for you pott, the Model 1a isn't routed for the the tabs on a humbucker like this model 3a body.

Especially for a Jackson pickup where the tabs are longer than Duncans or Dimarzios. I did fit EMG's by just cutting off the excess length of the screw before mounting the pickguard though like on this one I mutted up for a friend of mine. This is a Model 1a body with a 3a pickguard and a Jackson neck. Also I routed it for a recessed Floyd.

Comment

What are tabs?
          And does this mean I should put the Full Shred in the 1a instead of the jackson pickup? (the full shred is non covered)

Comment

The piece the pickup the height adjustment screws fit in. I'm not sure if that's what they're called. Here's what I'm talking about.

Comment

oh I see.
              Damn so what would I have to do? Raise the polepieces and lower the pickup? Drill holes?

Comment

You would have to route a channel like in the pic of the 3a body, that is if your using the Jackson pickup because those tabs are longer on Jackson pickups to accommmodate the covers that fit over them. You might be able to use Duncans or other pickups without routing but I'm sure you would still have to cut the excess screw length as I had to with the EMG's.

Comment

ohhh sorry I thought the first pic was the model 1a hehe... So I had no idea what was going on at first, and I realise I also misunderstood what the tabs are haha! I get it better now.
                  I'll check it out when I get the guitar. If I need routing I may as well replace the bridge pickup by a SC size humbucker and then wait for the pickguard. Though I prefer the look of the H/slanted S much better [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I'll see whenever I get the guitar. Thanks a lot for the warning.
                  ok I made new ones. S/S pickguard, slanted bridge and straight or slanted neck... I have yet to decide:

or

Or the same with hotrails:

and

It looks empty now though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Or you could do this.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Hey what am I laughing about, I bought this. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Anyway, you get the idea.

Comment

Well the holes don't seem too big to drill. Any shop that can route pickup routes should be able to do this? Are there any risks?

Comment

You can do it yourself with a dremel or a router. Go slow and recheck as you go.
                        Scott
                        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

It probably won't happen. I guess I'll just shove a hotrails in there for now. It won't look as good but well [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I'll then put it in the middle position of my model 4 whenever I can do the routing.
                          What is a router and how much it costs you think?

Comment

I had the same problem when putting humbuckers in a Fender body I had. With the duncans I was using, the old unlogoed one had the long tabs but the newer logoed one had the short tabs. I found another newer one in my bin and sure enough it had the shorter tabs so I used those instead. Still had to cut some of the screw off though, but if you score a newer labeled Duncan it should have the short tabs and you'll be all set.

Comment

Forgot to add, if your gettin a pickguard lose the extra knobs. You only need the volume anyway! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X