No announcement yet.

Jackson J50BC in model 1a's pickguard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson J50BC in model 1a's pickguard.

I'm wondering whether the J90s were oversized too, since they fitted them into the model 3's pickguards if I'm right. But I'm planning on using a J50BC into a model 1a (getting a new pickguard for it) assuming that it'd fit into the route. Unfortunately it'd be hard even trying to see whether it'd fit without actually trying it on a pickguard and having it fitted.
    If I were to get a cheap Strat pickguard, would I be able to file a little of it to fit the J50 in, without filing as far as the mounting screw holes? Basically is there an easy and cheap way to see whether it'd fit or not in the route? I hope you guys see what I mean...

Re: Jackson J50BC in model 1a\'s pickguard.

The mounting screw holes should not be in any danger. The biggest size difference compared to a normal humbucker, is across the pickup - the covered Jackson pups are a bit wider.

But if I were you, I'd just pop the cover off (it looks just like an ordinary humbucker under there, with exposed pole pieces). After that it should fit any normal humbucker mount. You'll get more bite out of the pickup as well.

Comment

I've thought of it but aside from its sound the main reason I want to do it is for its looks... I just love the black cover and I'd really love to keep it...
      I think I'm better off finding a DiMarzio Tone Zone S or a hotrails or a JB jr second hand and then upgrade the guitar regularly.

Comment

Something to ponder:
        If you pop the cover off, you can adjust the pickup closer to the strings as well. Makes a difference. You have to figure that between the thickness of the cover and the adhesive, the pickup with the cover on probably sits 3/32" lower in relation to the strings vs. a non covered pickup. The closer the pickup, the more output you get.

Comment

I already love the way it sounds in the model 4 and the output is fine to me I guess. Maybe when I get a tube amp I'll want more out of it but so far so good.
          I think I'll just get a metal Single Coil size humbucker. Tone Zone S, HS2, Hotrails... something like that. Do you think there's a DiMarzio forum?

Comment

In my experience, Duncans are more ruggedly built pickups than the Dimarzios. I've had numerous Dimarzios coils crap out and die for no apparent reason. I got a bunch of dead ones to prove it.

Comment

haha I shall keep that in mind. I just emailed DiMarzio asking about having some kind of tonewizard like on the SD website. I hope they don't hate me.
              I'll try to find a second hand cheap Hotrails and then get the pickguard custom made from Warmoth I think. All in all it shouldn't be more than 100 dollars, that's good enough for me. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Quick question:
                Are model 1a's pickguard 100% compatible with a Strat pickguard, or are some of the screws not in the same place? Also, are its screw emplacements the same as the model 3 (I assume the cutout for the bridge would be different though)?
                Quick answer needed please [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                Edit: the research showed that a Fender 8 hole pickguard fits perfectly. Has anyone got any contrary experience?

Comment

Working...
                X