Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3DR HELP!

Hi JCF
    I'm a long time user, first time posting on the JCF. I recently bought a 1988 3DR that had a total mess for the pickups and electronics. I would like to get it back to what was factory installed. What was the original pickups used in the '88 3DRs (J90C & J50C)? Were they an active or passive setup? Was there a preamp?
    <font color="red"> </font> Also, what would work well in this H/S setup IYO? Thanks to the JCF for making things a lot easier!!

Re: 3DR HELP!

Pickups:
    J80C Jackson USA Humbucker
    J100S Jackson USA Single coil

5-way Switch (JE0005):
    1-Neck
    2-Neck/Bridge(Parallel)
    3-Both full (Series)
    4-Both full(Parallel)
    5-Bridge(Series)
    Occupy JCF

Comment

Thanks a lot Tekky!...that info will get me started. So I can toss the 9 volt battery that was in the cavity. NOW... how about some opinions on which pickups would sound best in this guitar? [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

the J90C and J50C [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

So does the J80C have more output than the J50C humbucker, but less than the J90C? Are all of those 'buckers passive then? What about the single coils as far as output and active/passive? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I have this same guitar--never had active pickups. Anyway, I put a Seymour Duncan JB trembucker in the bridge and a JB Jr. in the neck (and have a 3-way toggle to split the neck pickup and have an out of phase feature, etc.). I replaced the 5-way selector with a 3-way for bridge only, bridge and neck and neck only selection. This works very well in my opinion. I'm going to replace the crappy Jackson licensed Floyd it came with using a Floyd Rose Original tremolo and I should be set. This works and sounds very well for rock and metal stuff and the action is very low and fast.

Comment

Working...
            X