X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Charvel...

Can somebody help me identify this?

Re: Mystery Charvel...

Looks to be a Model 88 with a bunch of mods. The neck is not original, there's an extra knob, and the bridge has been swapped.

Comment

Hmmm... should I stay away from it, or would this be a better option? (I'm considering swapping a Kramer Focus 1000 for one of these.)

Comment

If the neck was original I would trade in a Heartbeat.

Comment

I wish I had some way of knowing how good the playability on the "fake" neck is... the headstock looks awesome!

Comment

A Kramer Focus for a Charvel Model 2 or a Model 88? If I were a cop I'd throw you in jail. (go for the Model 2 - it's got the original parts and is a hell of a guitar)
            Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              A Kramer Focus for a Charvel Model 2 or a Model 88? If I were a cop I'd throw you in jail.

[/ QUOTE ]
              [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

They guy said he'd like to get around $350 for the 88. Is that reasonable? (I'm new enough to Jackson/Charvel to know I love them, but not know shit about pricing).

Comment

The problem is that you don't know where its neck came from. If it was, say, a Model 3DR (reverse headstock) neck it'd be a good deal, but it doesn't even seem to be Charvel/Jackson.

Go for the Model 2, you won't regret it.

Comment

I'm selling a bunch of other stuff, so I'm thinking about going for both of them. Maybe if I can get some kind of trial period on the 88...

Comment

<font color="aqua">I really believe that is a Charvel neck (with an added string bar)on the 88 as the dots, end of fretboard and just the basic headstock shape is right but it is probably an 89 and later neck for something like the predator since it has the locking nut. Either one would be a great guitar but I have to go with the Model 2 if you had to choose. Let us know how you end up. </font>
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I'm gonna try for both. I just emailed him, asking for a trial period. I only asked for 1 day, as all I intend to do is take the neck off the body, and see if it's stamped "Warmoth" or anything. I agree that it does look like a J/C headstock. Even if it's not, if it plays well, I'm keeping it. The matching head looks aweseome!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        <font color="aqua">I really believe that is a Charvel neck (with an added string bar)on the 88 as the dots, end of fretboard and just the basic headstock shape is right but it is probably an 89 and later neck for something like the predator since it has the locking nut. Either one would be a great guitar but I have to go with the Model 2 if you had to choose. Let us know how you end up. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was thinking... Although that neck on the 88 looks cool finished the way it is... just needs a black logo [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

But of course if you can score both then by all means do that [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for all the input! He agreed to give me a day to see if I liked the neck on the 88... I'm definitely getting the M2. For $350, should I get the 88? The other thing I'd like is a Journeyman. Which would you guys deem a better buy?

Comment

The Model 88 is a better guitar than the Journeyman, even without the original neck.

Comment

How so?

Comment

Working...
                              X