Oppinions on the newer Charvel Journeyman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oppinions on the newer Charvel Journeyman

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with the Charvel Journeyman. Looks like decent features for the price, kinda caught my eye but I've not had the chance to lay hands on one so what do ya think of them? Any help would be appreciated. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Re: Oppinions on the newer Charvel Journeyman

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, no one in my area carries these, very interested in buying one but could use some help.

Comment

Come on, surely someone has some experience with these?

Comment

I had a Journeyman Rising Sun, liked the design and neckshape,
        but it turned out to be a 2nd of some sort with a trussrod malfunction and misaligned trem anchor.. so I've send it back..
        makes me wonder how many of these 2nd's are floating around out there, because they sell real cheap..

Comment

Thanks Pebber, I've been watching a rising sun model on ebay, that's the sort of things I was concerned about on them, I too thought they seemed relatively cheap to be nice.

Comment

Re: Opinions on the newer Charvel Journeyman

I bought a natural bodied one a couple of years ago. Good solid rock guitar, great neck. The pickup split works suprisingly well on the JB.

- Steve
            Model 3
            Model 5A
            Model 3B
            Journeyman
            Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

Re: Opinions on the newer Charvel Journeyman

I've got a Jorneyman with the 8 ray rising sun graphic. It's a great guitar. The neck has a rough, unfinished feel to it but it's very comfortable to play. The guitar is lighter than most of my other guitars but it's a great player. The JB sounds great and the coil splitter is a nice feature.

I've seen and played a couple other Journeyman, including some of the 6 ray versions. For some reason, all 3 of the 6 rays that I've seen don't seem to have the same quality graphic as my 8 ray. The lines aren't as clean and you could see where the red bled under the taping. Some other guys I've talked to here have said the same thing. If you're looking at a 6 ray, I would ask about it. But if the guitar is in good shape and it's priced right, it might not be an issue to you.

Here's a pic of my 8 ray...

Let me know if you have any more questions.

John

Comment

Nice axe John, that's exactly like the one I was looking at but I pulled the trigger on an orange flame quilted 375dxl on ebay, so I may have to put the journeyman on the back burner for a month or so but I appreciate all you guys feedback. By the way John, I'm guessing your a Queensryche fan, my favorite of all time especially the older stuff. I caught them in Myrtle Beach last October and they still kick ass. They're coming back this October as well, same show, done bought tickets. If you get the chance to catch them on this Operation Mindcrime tour do so, you won't regret it. Can't wait to hear Operation Mindcrime II though I doubt it will be as awesome as the original. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

There's mine in company with some of my other gear. The necks on these guitars are great. When I bought mine I had the choice of the Journeyman or the Standard. I really wanted to buy the Standard as the neck pickup is my comfort zone, but the Journeyman seemed to be so much more alive tonally. There might be something to that "neck pickup damping effect" that Fender Esquire adherants talk about...

- Steve
                  Model 3
                  Model 5A
                  Model 3B
                  Journeyman
                  Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Nice axe John, that's exactly like the one I was looking at but I pulled the trigger on an orange flame quilted 375dxl on ebay, so I may have to put the journeyman on the back burner for a month or so but I appreciate all you guys feedback. By the way John, I'm guessing your a Queensryche fan, my favorite of all time especially the older stuff. I caught them in Myrtle Beach last October and they still kick ass. They're coming back this October as well, same show, done bought tickets. If you get the chance to catch them on this Operation Mindcrime tour do so, you won't regret it. Can't wait to hear Operation Mindcrime II though I doubt it will be as awesome as the original. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I'm a big Ryche fan. I've been following them since I saw them open for Kiss back in '84. I've seen them on every tour since then. They came through Cleveland earlier this year on their Hits/OM tour and then came back opening for Judas Priest. Both were great shows. And yes, they are scheduled here again in October for another round of hits/OM - can't wait for that! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

If the rising sun is an 8 ray version, I would say to hop on it. I've heard there were only 300 made and they were the initial run of the Journeyman were Charvel reintroduced their line. If it's just a 6 ray version, those pop up pretty regularly on Ebay. I'd he happy to answer any other questions if you got any. Shoot me a pm if you want.

Comment

Yeah Johnny, At least according to the picture, it's an 8 ray. It's on ebay witha couple days left till auction ends. I'll watch it, if the bidding goes much over 330 or so I'll have to wait, going through a "seperation" right now so my G.A.S account is going to be a little tight for awhile. Thanks for all the help. This site rules in terms of knowledgeable people who are willing to help out a newbie like myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X