Why the hatin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the hatin?

I have two model 3s with Kahler Fulcrum locking trems. They seem solid and are usable, why does everyone hate them? People even prefer the non-locking vintage style over them.

What's the deal with these and why were they only used one year?
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: Why the hatin?

Not all of us hate them...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...rtJacksons.jpg
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...SAJacksons.jpg

Comment

Those aren't the same Kahler trems, though Noodles.

I've never played a guitar with the Kahler fulcrum trem. So I guess you could say I fear the unknown. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I dont think its that people "hate", its more like they'd prefer somethign else. I myself have never tried the Kahler Fulcrums.

Comment

Well, those are the Kahler trems that people usually hate. Most people don't havbe experience with the fulcrum ones, and if they do, they tend to look at them like most other Floyd copies of good construction, since that's what they are.

Comment

The Kahlers are the main reason I like the 86 Charvels the most, but I started out on Kahlered guitars. I hate the JT-6.

I think most people who like hotrodded guitars prefer Floyds. It takes alot of modding for a Kahler Charvel to accept a floyd. Where the 87/88 model years (JT-6 tremmed guitars) are simple trem swap outs.

Comment

<font color="aqua">I also have no problem with these trems for what they are. Obviously you can't do huge dives and pullbacks and expect it to stay in tune as that's not what they were designed for. They are nice and smooth and can work very well. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] </font>
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

yeah the Kahler fulcrum on my 86 Model 2 was not really what I wanted, but it was on the guitar I wanted and at that time they didn't have the Jackson floyd models (which I'm glad I didn't get actually, since they were made so poorly).

I actually never use the trem anyway any more. not my style of playing at this point. I used it when I first got the guitar, but yeah if you do much more than a little bending, it won't stay in tune very well.
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I myself never liked them (even though my '86 Model 6 came with one) due to the fact that they felt soft and fluttery no matter how stiff a spring you installed.

There was just no way that a Kahler would feel like a traditional Fender trem nor a Floyd. Add to that the fact that many people did not fully understand how to setup and service them, and there is the general unpopularity of Kahlers.

I would suspect that they were also pricey to make as compared to even the OFR due to the endless rollers and screws.

From and engineering standpoint the OFR would likely win over the Kahler in terms of ease of use and design.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    yeah the Kahler fulcrum on my 86 Model 2 was not really what I wanted, but it was on the guitar I wanted and at that time they didn't have the Jackson floyd models (which I'm glad I didn't get actually, since they were made so poorly).

[/ QUOTE ]
                    I'd gladly take the Jackson JT-6 Floyd copy over a Kahler any day. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Many reasons to hate these abominations.

Large and Bulky
                      Not a Floyd and yet not a vintage trem, whats the point?
                      Not particularly easy to use at least not right off the bat and doesn't have the redeeming values of a Floyd to offset the learning curve.

Over a vintage tremolo I might take a Kahler, depends on if it was a good vintage trem. If it was a off brand vintage trem I'd go with the Kahler. Any other type of bridge beats a Kahler hands down.

Comment

Just for clarification, the JT-6 is the model found on the '88 model 2's rite?

Comment

the Kahler traditional falcrums arent that bad, they have cheap fine tuners that will break off easily tho. I'm just a Floyd guy. When they Model series first came out, I bought a Model 3 that had that on there. It lasted about a week or so and then I put an OFR on it.

As far as the other kahlers go, I can't stand them either. For me I think it more of a visual thing than how well they stay in tune. I have one SD Charvel that has one and I'm thinking about selling it only because I never play it and I can't stand to look at the Kahler and the gaping hole it pits in the body makes it too hard to convert to a Floyd [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

OK,
                            I've heard conflicting stories. Are the posts on the Kahler Fulcrum spaced OK to swap in a OFR with the 42mm block? I saw the Kahler 2700 Killer thread that said it'll swap in, but what about a REAL floyd?

I don't use the bar much, so I could really care less if it is stable, but the OFR is the standard so I'd consider swapping it on if it doesn't mean a major surgery. Plus I don't have a floyded guitar at the moment.
                            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

no, they are way too narrow for drop an OFR in there. You'll need to drill new holes and dowel the old ones. They are far enough away from the Floyd spacing that you could leave the kahler bushungs in there.
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X