Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do Model 6 really compare to USA Soloists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do Model 6 really compare to USA Soloists?

I've got 2SD Soloist and an 86 model 6. The Charvel has a kahler,the soloist ORF. Charvel has a slightly wider thinner neck plays well but not well enought for me to used over either of the Soloist. Pickups are different EMG's to Jackson pickups on the mod 6. The Charvel is lighter in weight. All my SD made guitars have incredible necks the Charvel are close but something is missing. I don't own any Charvels or Jackson made after 88 or 89 so I can't judge the new jackson vrs. mod series.

Comment

There's also the ebony board vs the rosewood.
      Judging from the two 650XLs I've had, they were pretty much the protoypes for the Soloist Pros of the early 1990s with the notable exception of the ebony board.

I'd rather have a 650 than a 1990 SL Pro, to be honest.

Unfortunately, they're bad luck for me - every time I get one, I have to sell it less than a month later [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Does the rosewood fretboard make a huge difference from ebony?
        I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          There's also the ebony board vs the rosewood.
          Judging from the two 650XLs I've had, they were pretty much the protoypes for the Soloist Pros of the early 1990s with the notable exception of the ebony board.

I'd rather have a 650 than a 1990 SL Pro, to be honest.

Unfortunately, they're bad luck for me - every time I get one, I have to sell it less than a month later [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

After Newcensteining it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Does the rosewood fretboard make a huge difference from ebony?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. It might make the tone just the slightest bit brighter, but that's it. I prefer the appearance of ebony, and it feels slightly smoother than rosewood.

There are actually more differences than that between the 650xl and Soloist Pro--most notably that the Pro has a recessed trem, while the 650 does not. Since I hate recessed trems, that a reason to go with the 650. Also, the Pro has the early-'90s style 'scalloped' neck heel, while the 650 has the older bigger one like the Model 6 had.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Since I hate recessed trems, that a reason to go with the 650.

[/ QUOTE ]
              *nods*
              That's one of the reasons why I started looking at the Charvels. Another being the low prices. I got my Model 6 for about the same price as a minty used bolt-on Jackson. Now that's dirt cheap considering the quality of the guitar - and mine even had a real OFR on it! Great deal. The Charvels can be had for really good prices over here, because all the kiddies want Jacksons and they don't seem to know what Charvels are.

My Model 6 and my 750XL are the best guitars I've owned to date (I haven't had any MiUSAs though). I just love the feel of them. They almost play themselves. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I have two '90 Pro Soloists, an '88 Model 6, and some good time on late 80's USA Soloists. The Model 6 is very, very similar to a late 80's Soloist. They are basically exactly the same thing, except for the fretboard wood. I personally wouldn't let the fretboard wood bother you though. The binding is bigger to me than rosewood/ebony, and you get the binding. The Pro Soloists have thinnner necks, the blade selector, and better neck heals, so those are different than either the late 80's USA or Model guitars. So, comparing Model 6's to Soloists is only iffy if you look at different eras. The late 80's Model 6's and USA Soloists are the exact same thing if your eyes are closed.
                Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  They almost play themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">if only......... I might sound pretty good then.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
                  Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Also, the JT-6 doesnt have the round fine-tuners on the bridge, which I hate...

If you can, get a model 6 with the Kahler, which is face-mounted and doesnt need a tremolo cavity in the body, improving the sound/sustain...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I was amazed at how close they were. My main complaint is the the behind-the-nut locknut setup on the Model 6, and you gotta do the OFR swap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer the behind the nut lock, takes some twang out of the tone like my Soloist has using the FR nut, it's warmer and smoother on my Model 6, i wish all of my FR-loaded guitars had behind the nut locks...

Comment

I loved the old Model 6 I had, thought the three on/off switches were awesome, even loved the JT6 trem, especially the way the fine tuners were in back around the strings locks. Never had a problem with the lock nut either.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                        X